1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

QUESTION: can i put a 8 foot Sander in my short bed truck?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JCplowing, Jan 12, 2009.

1. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

I have a 2003 ram 2500 quad cab short bed, im looking into buying a sander, i found a deal on a 8foot salt dogg, will it work with the short bed or no? also i wouldnt be filling it up past 3/4 full, sick of spreading by hand! thanks jc

2. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I wouldn't. As the material works itself to the rear, You're front end will get real light. I know it's tough to find 6 footers but they are out there.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt either.........

4. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

what about a tailgate sander?? must be worce then 1.5 foot hanging off the back, the bed measures 6.5ft to end with tailgate off. i just dont see what that would effect, i see guys with huge tailgate sanders and they bring the back down low on them full!

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

An 8' Sander empty is going to weigh in at 800 lbs.

Throw a half yard of sand at 1300 lbs and now you're over a ton.

Now take the 1300 pound 1/2 yard and see-saw it to the far rear out beyond you're bumper.

Remember, you're quad cab has the same chassis as an 8 foot, except that the cab is longer leaving less room for the bed.

Not trying to argue, just stating facts. Try it and you'll see. Send pics!

6. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I agree too much sander for too little truck. Salt and sand guys are noted for overloading those things too....an 8 footer can easily hold 2yds heaped...that will run you closer to 2K-lbs plus wieght of the unit....too much for a 2500 Dodge more so since its a short box.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

how much were you gonna pay for the sander if you dont mind me asking??

8. Bottom of the page

http://dodgeram.info/2003/load-tow/2500.html

If your running the V8 Hemi your good for about 2700 lb payload.

9. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Problem is, "payload" describes weight whithin the bed. A good portion of this weight would be out beyond the bed.

10. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i don't think my chev's tailgate will hold more than 500lbs give or take.....

11. JCplowing

JCplowing Member

I stopped a guy today that had a 8foot sander in his shortbed truck, i asked him about it, and he told me he has run that sander full, but its a company truck so he could care less if the truck gets messed up or not, he just said you got to watch out for backing up,but im not going to do it, i trust all your opinions and they all make good sence! thanks jeff
    also the sander is for sale for 2000.00(cash)

12. BigJohnsonPlow

BigJohnsonPlow Junior Member

The first response to your question was the right one. The material works its way towards the back so even if you only fill it half full, when half of that is gone the rest will all be in the very back of the sander. Plus backing up with and extra 3-4ft. of stuff past the back bumper could lead to an ouchy. Just a thought. If you do it, please let us all know how it turned out, as I am only speaking with experience of using 8 ft boxs' in 8ft beds. Good luck.

13. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

go with a poly spreader. fisher,western,blizzard all are 7 foot i got one in my short bed F-250 works great doesnt stick out far holds 1.25 yards level not heaped its electric great spreader i love it! i run sand/salt and have put over 4,000 lbs in there (really not recommended) the truck was sagging a lil with that load but the diesel pulled it great no probs as long as u dont do it very often now i only run 1.25 yards of material until i get my air bags then ill load her back up

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  14. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Get a 7 foot poly like Fisher Guy says. Western tornado is 500# empty, fill it level with 2500 pounds of salt, an 800 pound plow, and 200? pound driver puts you at 4000 pounds, which will make you overweight by 1300 pounds. I drive with this load all the time and the truck handles it fine. But with that said- if I can salt without the plow on I do, and I get rid of salt as fast I can to get back within limits.

And BTW: The payload listed on that website means total payload on and in the truck. It does NOT mean in the bed. Subtract the curb weight (vehicle weight empty) from the GVWR and you get total allowable payload. This includes everything and everybody inside and on the truck.

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Removing the plow will lower your over all weight but I think your better off to leave the plow since it transfer some of the weight off of the back axle up to the front axle JMO

16. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

bent

Put it this way my 8' sander put a crease in the bed of my 8' ford bed near the back (ptobably combination of weight and over tightening the straps). If you put 2 yds of wet sand in it more than half gets draged to the rear, about 3000 lbs on your gate, if you open your gate and jump up and down on it you can bend it. Not a good idea
    JMO
    Scott

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

If you want to run the 8ft salter simply build a short extension that slides into your receiver hitch to support the tale end of the salter and you'll be fine

18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicYeah thats the ticket, I was reading all the posts and was gonna say that tool. Theres a lot of guys with 3/4 Ton trucks filled with 8ft sanders that got their hind end dragging :dizzy:(I know Im exagerating slightly) on the pavement. Ya got ta watch yer payload regardless:salute:

19. doug hamm

doug hamm Junior Member

8' sander in a s.box

been in this business for 27 yrs. and tried everything. cut my last sander down to fit a shortbox. took 1.5 days. worked like a charm. thks. doug

20. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

JCPlowing,

p-u a poly electric 1500 shpe saltdogg,this wouldn't be an issue(holds about 1.25 without heaping).
    Or go with a western tornado or which ever company your biased to.
    We have three shpe 2000's (2 yards), one is on a 1-ton 350 short bed. I believe they run around 2,200.
    Good luck