1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question abput ice screws

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hello I use an ATV to plow snow and I was wondering if I were to put ice screws in my tires would it make a big difference because right now I have tire chains on the back but the lugs on my tires are to big so they dont really get any real contact with the ground and I was curious if ice screws would make a big difference and do you have to use ice screws or is there a sub anyone uses like a stardard metal screw thanks alot!
  2. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

A friend of mine used a short coarse thread screw. He cut the bent the threads of each screw on one side in a way that would keep it from unscrewing. You don't want screws laying around where you're plowing for obvious reasons... they might go into your tire between the lugs and puncture it JMO
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This is how they set up ATVs for ice racing, short sheet metal screws turned into the lugs. The hex head type offer the most grip, but be aware they will also cause cosmetic scratching of the surface you drive on.
  4. muddy_blacklab

muddy_blacklab Junior Member

I am curious as to what real level of damage is done to the road surface with screws in the tires. When you say cosmetic, does that mean you can see marks but there is no damage? I have a 45% hill I plow and also was considering hex screws (I'm in a 3/4T PU)

I tried diamond crossover cables last week and they did leave some marks on pavement...but they worked great! I would consider the marks cosmetic too.

Also, if your chains are dropping between your treads try adding some chain that is perpendicular to the cross overs. I have seen these for sale on the net somewhere as full chain sets for off-road use. But I would worry about them damaging the driveway.
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yea, they leave little nicks :waving: but if you light up & spin them slipping & slidding they will leave major damage :nono: so be carefull. Plus when spinning them the screw & or studds will come loose from time to time & then they are like bullets :gunsfiring: flying around.
  6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The screws will ruin your tires. Suggestion is to get old tires from someone or buy used ones. The screws ruin them when they pop out and rip the lug of the tire. Short sheet metal screws are the way to go also.

HVYMTL Junior Member
    from IL.

I used the hex head screws on a PE250 bike years ago. motocross tires work ok with 1 screw per lug- well... as best as can be expected of riding a motorcycle on ice and snow :)