1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about what you need to hook up a plow to your truck...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jacktheb, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

I've been browsing Kijiji for used plows and found some but that came off a different year/model/make of a half ton.. If I were to buy one of those how much would it cost to hook it up to my truck.. Im assuming I would need a differnt mounting kit.. I guess my question is what would I be able to use other than the plow itself when hooking to my truck? Do I just need a different mount for under the truck? Thanks in advance for any replies!
  2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

That all depends on what type of plow your putting on, but basically, you're gonna need the mounts, probly a new wiring harness, and maybe a few other parts. I'm more familiar with fisher systems.
  3. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Fisher is what Im looking at... Just curious how much all that goes for roughly(in canada). Thanks!
  4. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I would get the make and model of the plow, and call the dealer nearest you that sells that particular brand. Seems like you'd need at least a vehicle mount and wiring harness, but the dealer would probably be able to tell you best.

RODHALL Senior Member

you'll have to find a frame to fit your truck...

buy a new wiring harness that fits the truck and plow.
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

in the U.S. it cost me about $950 to get EVERYTHING truck side. All the wires and mounts
  7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, it would help to know what truck you have.

Some mounts from some brands will fit broader ranges of years. Some trucks share harness' or may only require headlight adaptors.

You can go to all of the brands and either use their truck/plow matching program or do a search on their site for what mount and harness you would need.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

I did forget to mention what I have for a truck..haha Its a 2005 Ford F-150 FX4.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be cautious on the age of plow you buy for that truck. The older the plow and the newer the truck the more it costs to retrofit. Can get expensive fast. payup