1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Western Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camaro SS Mike, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

hey people. i have a question about western plows that may sound like a stupid question, but i have to ask. 1. do they still make the uni mount or are all of them now the ultra mount? 2. my brother has a 7 1/2ft uni mount pro plow on his 92 chevy and where the plow hooks to the truck, under the front bumper, that black thing that stays on the truck, his looks really beefy and like perfectly square. these new trucks i see on the road with the western uni mount set up, theirs looks like sort of triangular where the pins would slide through and it doesnt look in any way as strong. just going by looks. is western making all their hook ups look like this now or maybe the ones im seeing arent the pro plows, so therefor they get a cheesier looking set up? i like how my brothers looks and other ones i see on slightly older trucks, like mid 90s. does anyone know why this is or does it depend on who installs it how it looks when they get done? thanks for any help with this stupid questions, haha!
    Mike

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Mike what you are seeing is the uni mount frame and different makes of trucks.
    On ford and dodge, because of the higher frame stance, the front section of the frame kit, is backed by struts that angle up the frame.
    On GM's, there is no need for that strut, so the unimount frame kit is more of a direct bolt on underneath the bumber.
    IMO the frame kits on the dodge and ford are actually stronger, since they mount and are bolted in over a larger surface area.
    Dino

3. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

yea, its the newer chevy and gmc trucks that the frame looks cheesy. like you are saying the new ford and dodge trucks i see with western set ups still look like my brothers. the older chevys and gmc's like my bros all have the heavy looking block type western set up hanging off the front, so i guess its just the newer styled chevys and gmc's that get the funny looking style. thats what i like about fisher, all their minute mount plows have the same 2 straight blacks things that stick out off the truck, no matter what make truck, they all look the same. not that its a big deal, but i hate the way the western set up looks on these new chevys! :D :D :D Mike

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have noticed that both Meyer and Western have frames that are kind of low to the ground. This may have shanged with the second generation of mounts each have developed. I like the Fisher mounts because they are up close to the frame. I know people who have damaged the low frames on curbs and such.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Don't they all have to be relatively low to the ground? To keep the plow frame close to parallel with the ground. (if ya put a 4" suspension lift on, you have to lower the mount 4")

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Because of the way the Fisher MM attaches the truck part of the frame sites much higher. In my case I have compared it to a Meyer mount on Ford F350's There is quite a difference between the two.

7. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Mike,

The Western uni-mount on my new Ford is much beefier than the same mount on a Chevy. Wether or not it is any stronger, I don't know, but it sure looks it:)

Greg