1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about weight for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kraco_1, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Can someone tell me if it's better to have weight over the rear wheels or behind the rear wheels? And how much is enough? I'm knew to the forum here so I hope it's not a stupid question, I'm also knew to plowing. Thank's...Kraco_1
  2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I would think over the wheels.
    On how much depends on what size vehicle you have.Anywhere from 500lbs.to 2000lbs.or more
    Just my 2 cents....
  3. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Ok thanks Mike, and btw it's a 2001 Chev. 2500 ex cab. I was thinking of useing about 6 cinder blocks but I guess I better get some more if I need that much weight. Thanks again for the help. Kraco1
  4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I think with that wheelbase,you would need a little more weight than the blocks.Maybe someone is running that same application you are.Good Luck
  5. sly

sly Junior Member

6. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Hey thanks for the help on this and i'll re-think what I'll use for weight. Maybe a few of you guys could tell me what you use for weight? Thanks....Kraco_1
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well it varies around here. Most run a spreader of some sort with material in it, or the bed of the truck. So that pretty much takes care of the weight issue. I have a sub that runs just a truck, we weight him with a bucket of snow during the storm, and that does him fine.
    If that doesnt work, try befriending a person or business with a fork lift, and have them load a 1/2 skid of your choice in the back, and when done, just return the material. Use blocks or bricks or something along those lines. Or use bagged salt on a skid, that way when you need it, its already there.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The farther beyond the rear wheels the less weight you will need.

Watch out with cinder blocks they can put a healthy divot in the back of the cab when they come loose. Fill some burlap sacks with sand instead.
  9. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

my method was hardly scietific, I just kept adding salt behind the rear wheels, untill my truck was at the same ride level with the plow on as it is when empty. THe less weight you can carry and still get the job done is the correct amount of weight, less #'s in truck = less wear and tear on everything. My truck f250 reg cab takes about 1000# to balance everything out. some guys I know don't carry any and others carry 2k+ in the bed

just my thoughts
  10. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Ok thanks guys for all the good tips, sand bags sound like a pretty good idea so I guess I'll try that. I got an old army air mattress, I thought about filling with water but not so full that when it froze it would break. But then I thought if I needed to get rid of it before spring I'd be in trouble. lol.... Well anyway, thanks again....Kraco_1
  11. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

I run between 600 and 700 lbs of baged salt behind the rear wheels. I have a 2X6 set in the slots that are in the box that keeps the material from sliding forward. I like using salt as I always have it in the truck if I need it. Usually figure what your plow weight is and compensate in the rear for that amount. Hope this helps and Good Luck
  12. CCLC

CCLC Member

We run our 2500 with a full pallet (2400 lbs) of salt and a sometimes full transfer tank. It is overweight but there is never a traction problem. Our 3500 we have a v-box spreader that provides enough weight until we are ready to salt then we load it up.
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I run from 2400 lbs (full pallet) to nothing. Depends on how much salt I use. In a BIG storm I try to carry at least 1500 lbs of 80lb salt. That and the spreader (Buyers Tailgate) which is just heavy and bulky enough to make it a two man job to install :( I can remove it by myself, but on installation, aiming the reciever mount into the reciever is just too much!!

I have had a lot more than 2400 lbs in the truck, however, I would have never plowed with it like that. Too much weight, and you are asking for problems. As for position, when its a full pallet, I break it down and spread the bags out all over the bed.

I also carry a bucket of chains, tools, springs, and about 100lbs of Mag/CL for sidewalks inside of my cab (extended cab).
  14. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We have one 2000 Chev new-style gas on snow, as well as a 2000 diesel Chev that I run. Both are short-box, e-cabs.

The gasses gets about 600 lbs made up of tire chains, tow chains, light tools, snowpolw repair kit and about 500# of pickled sand. The sand is stored in inexpensive Walmart plastic tubs on a rubber mat so they don't slide. Sand is available for all uses then.

The diesel is loaded heavier, but similarly, by nature of my full-time business efforts.

Neither have traction problems or problems supporting 8'2" Boss plows. Hope this helps.
  15. Trimline

Trimline Junior Member

Think of your truck like a sea saw. If you have an 8oo pound plow out front your going want 800 pounds as far back as you can get it. I can't imagine that having your truck all out of balance could be good for the front end. I built a frame to hold 12 70 pound sand bags behind the wheel wells. This is to counter balance a 7.5 ft Meyer on a 1/2 ton Chevy works well.
  16. soapnt45

soapnt45 Junior Member

we also run a dodge 2500 2450lbs of salt on pallet does fine. it gets front end heavy at the end but by then you are ready for another pallet.
  17. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I'd go behind the rear wheels with anything you use. The whole point (besides sitting level) is to get some load off the front axle. The only way to do that is to put the ballast behind the rear axle. Otherwise, some percentage of the bed load is added to the front...defeating the whole purpose.

Happy plowing!