1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about WCB!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPS Alberta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Hey guys, for those of you who are on WCB (workers comp)... I have a question.

One of my clients (fedex) requests that I have 100,000 wcb coverage..does this mean that i need to have an income of at least that much? I am confused by this.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

That is a limit of coverage. Like your liability policy limit, but for employees that get hurt on the job. If it is above and beyond your state mandated minimum, then the customer is just asking for alittle extra. Probably won't cost much.

3. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

So I can just pay more and bring my coverage up to $100,000??

Sorry, Id ask WCB but its 730 pm lol

4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Canada has more od a 'socialized' WCB system. There is only one provider, it is 'sort-of' a government agency, but is supposed to operate at 'arm's length' from the gov't. Employers don't have to 'price' their WCB coverage. It is a set rate for all employers in the same business category. It's a no-fault type of insurance for the employer. The employee can't sue for injuries on the job. They get their injuries taken care of, rehabilitation and or re-training costs are covered, for this, they give up the right to sue the employer. that being said, OH&S can levy heavy penalties if the injury was the result of a safety violation.

As for what your customer means by $100,000 coverage, I have no idea, I think they are terribly confused about how the Canadian WCB system operates. If you didn't have WCB coverage - and they are supposed to check up on their contractors or sub-contractors, or ask you to provide a 'clearance letter from WCB - then they must do a calculation based on the industry and withhold a portion of your invoice and submit it to WCB on your behalf to ensure that the workers are covered. It's a grey area, and I'm surprised that there aren't more audits. My company has been the subject of 3 WCB audits in 25 years, and they have never found a significant discrepancy on our account.