1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about warranty for 2008 1500 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmboy52787, Sep 22, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Hi, I heard a rumor from my buddy that if you put a plow (Fisher) on a 2008 GMC 1500, it will void the warranty? Does anyone know if this is true? THe truck is an extended cab short box 4 wheel drive truck with the 5.3L. Does it apply to certain plows depending on the width or if its a V-plow? Any positive feedback will be appreciated.

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Back when I bought my O1 the warranty was OK if you had the snow plow prep package, but you could only get that on the reg.cab half tons. Check the warranty booklet that came with it, it should be explained in there.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just a rumor, you CAN get a plow prep on a 1/2 ton.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But only on a regular cab. ;)
  5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I had a wheel bearing let go, and the service manager told me that it was covered only because my REGULAR CAB had the prep package. Had I been driving an extended cab or didn't have the prep package, I would have paid out of pocket. A wheel bearing job doesn't cost much, but blow an engine or tranny in an extended cab 1500 series with a plow hanging off the front, and you're screwed!
  6. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

It will void it unless it has plow prep. And that truck I know does not.

FLASHMAN Member

Your friend is right... Regardless of the brand of plow, putting ANY plow on ANY GMC truck that doesn't have the specific plow prep code on the option list DOES void your warranty.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The HD (RD) is a to much plow for that truck. Even if it has plow prep I'd still recommend a Snoway 26 series or Boss Sport duty and a set of timbrens. If you want a Fisher they only list a Homesteader.