1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about warranty and where to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nboeger4, Oct 11, 2013.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

So I have done my research and decided to go with the salt Dogg SHPE 2250. Here's my question. I have called many places here locally and found the best price. I also called Angelos (13hrs away). I have figured in shipping along with sales tax for the one here locally. Angelos is still $520 cheaper when its all said and done.

So I called Salt Dogg and asked about warranty. They said any retailer could perform the warranty work. However they didn't have to if they didn't want to.

So is it worth saving the $500 or just buy the one here locally???

I am really split on this. Warranty is only good for one year anyway. Plus the $500 almost pays for all the plow parts/accessories I need. Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well here's a question for you. Can you put together a complete boxed up plow?
    Are you fairly good at wiring diag and hydraulic repairs? I installed a few plows, and to date nothing has fallen off the tk. I do have access to a good dealer so if something does go terribly wrong I can fall back on that

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As long as you're OK with waiting till regular business hours for parts/repair, and waiting for them to confirm your warranty status before you receive warranty repair it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Good dealer support at 2am is highly overrated:rolleyes:

4. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

As far as putting the spreader together I am not worried about that at all.

But basher makes a good point about having to check the status of the warranty in the middle of the night.

My other tonight is this spreader only comes with a 1 year warranty so after one season it doesn't matter.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Correct,,,and actually its only like 4 months of use anyway

6. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I had a warranty claim on my Boss plow, I bought the parts and fixed it Boss (through the dealer) reimbursed me. I would think that all snow related companies should work that way because when something happens in the middle of a storm you dont have time to have the dealer look at it and then schedule a repair, you have to get it going now!

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's not about the warranty, it's about the long term relationship with the local dealer. You buy from other places EXCEPT when it's an emergency, how willing do you think he's going to be about waiting around late or coming in early to sell you a part.

Most dealers (particularly the good ones;) ) offer emergancy repair services 24/7 when it's snowing and will give their customers preferantal treatment. It's snowing an the dealer has one unit left on the shelf, you want it for a warranty on an outside purchase and he has 12 customers that bought equipment from him that might need it's he's likely to "have to order" the warranty part. Even if it's a straight sale it's tough to get a guy to go to the shop at 2am to sell a $12 bearing to some guy he's never met.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Some valid points in this thread. All I can say is I'm jealous of you guys that get dealer support when it snows. Our dealer is only open normal business hours. If its 2am you better have some parts laying around or a spare plow. It seems as if our local dealer isn't too interested in helping out the little guys around here.

9. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Second that here in the Toledo Metro area...... The Snow Ex dealer has never ever ever had the part I need and when I ask him to call me back about a part, I have never ever ever received that call. The Boss dealer here in town is marginal but I can cross the state line and get exceptional service..... go figure.
    The guys here just dont care and thats why we stock parts that might break and worry about warranty later or just fix it ourselves.

10. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

Well everyone has good points. I got the local guy to a $400 difference. I am going to see if there's anyway he can do a free install. That would cover a little more of the difference. I will keep everyone posted.