1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about V-Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camaro SS Mike, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

hi everyone, i just have a quick question. i read alot on here how V plows are much faster in doing lots than a straight plow. i was just wondering why is it faster, or how is it faster? when i do a lot with the straight plow on my brothers truck, i usually just make straight runs down the lot with the plow angeled one way the whole time, then back up and go again, and keep doing that until i worked my way over to the end of the lot. but sometimes what eventually happens is you make that wall of snow so high that you cant continue to do it the way i was, so i start going across it and pushing it up against the wall or fence i was working paralell to. the only way i could see the V being faster is if you left it in the scoop position and did runs up the lot to the end then back up and continue to do that, but if you leave it in scoop position, and the lot was say 200 feet long, wouldnt so much snow build up in front of the truck, that the truck would get to a point that it continue push any more weight? and another thing, doesnt the V in scoop position leave a trail of snow down the middle that you later have to make an extra run to clean? i never used a V plow and im not an expert plower, thats the reason for all the questions , even if they were stupid questions. :-D Mike

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If its a small 3-4" snow, all I do in lots is scoop! In the scoop there is NO trail in the center. It is all closed up! Catching tails is the number one timesaver in lots! Plus the V allows you to break trail down the center and work to either side. But like I said, the scoop position is the real time saver. Also, you cannot reach a limit in pushing in the scoop. Most trucks will have the power to push several cuyds of snow in the scoop position. Just have to watch on the BOSS with hidden obstructions (manhole covers, storm grates) This type of plow does not like to trip and can lead to major damage to truck and plow if it doesn't. The Western/Fisher V's have trip edge and unless the obstruction is higher than the pivot point of the tripedge, then you are OK. Any higher (curb) you are screwed! This is where the BOSS is best as it fully trips when pushing up to curbs (softens the blow).

I haven't decided what plow will go on my next truck (BOSS/WESTERN) but it will definately will be a V-Plow!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Doesn't sound like such stupid questions to me, Mike. I've been trying to figure the same things. I can see how they'd be fine for short runs with small amounts of snowfall, but that wouldn't work around here. I have seen Vs with a 'boot' in the middle.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

First v plows do not leave a trail down the center, at least they shouldnt. So that answers that.
    In a lot like you describe, here is what really happens with a straight plow. The first 2-3 passes you can take a full width of the moldboard, which on a 8'6" straight plow will be about 90". After those passes you will either start leaving tailings off the forward side of the plow, or only take about 2/3's of a moldboard width.
    So now you either have to plow the area 2x or clean the tailings up, or move the winrow, spilling snow over the area you already plowed, the problem is it will take multiple passes to do so.
    With a v plow, you can use it as a straight plow as well, so you angle the first few passes till the winrow developes, then put the plow in scoop mode, clear the winrow off, and repeat till done with the lot. In open plowing situations, the v plow will only show minimal advantages over a straight plow.
    Now lets take the same two plows, and go into a lot where you cant cast the snow left or right, but have to deposit the snow at the end of a 200' run. The straight plow will be moving the snow left and right numerous times before you achieve the desired results.
    The v plow will do the same work in much fewer passes.
    Now lets also take the same 2 plows into a driveway that has not been plowed and has 18" of heavy wet snow on it, and the drive is .75 miles long. The v plow will cut right through the snow with minimal effort, and when you get to the house, you can pull the ford with the straight plow out of a ditch, because the weight of the snow pushed the front end of the truck off the driveway.
    The last situation is a real world event that I personally witnessed, and I did pull the guy out.
    Also v plows will stack snow hugher than the roof of the truck in scoop mode.
    One time we had a lot that was wide open, and I used my 8.5' v plow and a sub started the opposite end of the lot with a 9' straight plow, I did 65% to his 35% of the lot due to the v plow being more effecient. I also will just use the scoop on small runs, but on longer runs a combo between the two works great.
    Many times having the plow in a dog leg also helps a great deal.
    We also dont worry about having to blow snow in the parking area either, we will blow off the curb, and then come along and scoop the snow away with the v plow.
    Many times will use a straight and a v in the same lot, and have the straight plow feed the v plow. Like I said you stack real high with the v plow.
    That is how IMO the v plows are more effecient than straight plows.
    Dino

Last edited: Nov 23, 2001
  5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

LMAO @ Dino:D :D

Greg

6. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

thanks guys for the quick responses, especially your very detailed explanation plowking. i understand much better now. yea i guess the V plow would be a much quicker way of plowing a big long lot, if it doesnt leave a line of snow down the middle like you said it wouldnt. i could of sworn i read on a thread once that someone said V's leave a line of snow down the middle thats why i thought they did, but hey if they dont, thats great. i guess if you were buying one truck and were gonna have a plow put on it, i guess the V is the way to go cause it seems the V can do everything a striaght can do and more. is there anything a straight can do better than a V? i wouldnt think so, being that a V can be put in a straight position and be used as a straight plow, but someone did say a straight rolls snow better. is that true? and if so, why does it roll snow better and when would rolling the snow be a benefit? this board is great, i learned a ton already. thanks again for the quick and detailed responses!! Mike

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A straight plow will roll snow better on long runs due to the fact it doesnt have a center hinge to disrupt the flow of snow. This is more pronounced on boss v's since their hinge area protrudes further towards the front of the plow. Less so on the LOBO because of the center tower design.
    If all you had to do is plow roadways, no need for a v plow. But once you have tomove snow, as opposed to just plow it, the v plow really shines.
    Of course you have more moving parts and that means more maint. issues, and things that can go wrong.
    The fisher/western v plows have 8 solenoids. which means 5 more than a straight plow from those makers. So far few issues with plow, but I keep the manual handy just in case. Western/fisher v plows do not like contaminated fluid at all.
    Dino

8. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

thanks guys for the good post and all the great info. i know next time i'm ready for a plow i'll be lookin for a V.

thanks again
    Mark K

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We have several lots where the snow has to go off the ends. I can't say exactly, but 30-50% less time now that we have a vee. Put it in scoop and just go. The plow will only carry so much, so you never reach the point where it gets too much to push. We make hte first push roughly donw the center of the lot, then take a full width passs next to that. Then take whatever has fallen off the "clear" side of the plow. Then another full pass and a second cleanup. Harder to explain than it is to do, but it's much faster than a straight blade.

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Agreed on the V.

50% time saving might be "pushing" it. (No pun intended.)

Question, Alan,
    If the truck has no problem pushing the plow full of snow, could we use a wider plow on our trucks?

I'm just curious what is the limiting factor?
    Transport width? Make it fold.
    Weight? Make it lighter or out of Aluminum.

I think it's time plow trucks have w-i-d-e-r plows.

11. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

At least wider ones on the rear, for pulling. How about one that expands to about two car widths, so I can do drives in one pass!

12. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

They have those already.

Most guys would be interested for the front of the truck for parking lots and the like.