1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about using strictly salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flake Chaser, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Do you find yourselves salting more often than you did with sand/salt ? I'm thinking of switching to straight salt next year(if I'm still plowing:D ) and don't know if you do anything different then using sand/salt. A lot of landscaper's switching to salt due to no clean-up in spring. I don't know if customers would be happy with me showing up every morning to spread salt and have it freeze at night then repeat process next morning. It sure does make lots looking nice through out the winter. No beach effect:eek:

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

It shouldn't refreeze like that. And if it did refreeze like that your sand would be worthless. It should refreeze right OVER the sand you put down earlier. I use staight salt and all of my parking lots are DRY pavement with in 5 hours after a storm. Go to salt you will be happier with your results and your jobs will look better to.

3. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Salt makes sense

I like the fact that the lots are dry in 5 hrs. I guess that solves the refreeze issue to some extent. The state has switched to pure salt down here and many towns also to save on clean-up n spring. Do you get your salt by the pallet, bulk or just get it loaded per storm ? I'm in a small town and don't have access to salt so I think I'd be baggin' it and the thought of loading v-box that way isn't a pretty one. Maybe I'd switch to a smaller unit and just carry extra bags in case I run out.

4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

We use >salt / de-icer only..no sand mix I would say the best thing to remember is using deicer salt is that it creates "heat" and that results in :::evaporation::: of the liquid H2o.........we find that the SUN in the sky is our best friend when salting and that nite time salting / deicing has minimal effect but does work to break it down to a slushy substance(below 30 deg). Best practice is to scrape all the snow & ice off with the blade that you can & then apply the salt / deicer.

We usually do applications early in the morning and let the UV from the sun help out,,,,the results we have are nice dry roadways and HAPPY customers.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Indy brought up some good points, and your thinking is on the right track, and since the DOT went to straight salt selling the concept to your customers will be easier.

If you have bulk capabilities, you can put it down heavy an burn up to 3" of snow assuming the temps are above 25*. I don't, so I employ the plow first then salt method. You'll use less salt and won't have the customers driving thru slush- I hate that.

If you do have an hour or two of sun the following morn, mother nature really helps out. Salt is most effective above 25* and the pavement warming up with the sun makes for optimal melt.

Now lets get you out of the dark ages and into the future- PreTreating with liquids::bluebounc This is done (assuming no rain) in advance of a storm, say the day before. Spray on your Caliber M1000 or Magic-0, it dries and waits. Then when it starts to snow it activates and starts the melting process, but this stuff works well even at 0*, it can burn off an 1" easy, but if its really coming down well it keeps the snow/ice crystals from getting a foot hold into the pavement so plowing becomes much easier and the salt you put down over the top has a better time at melting the rest.

Re-Freeze can happen with any product- it happens when the deicer has been diluted so much it lost its effectiveness. With CaCl or MagCl its just a lot harder to do, and when you buy your salt treated with these products they include corrosion inhibitors for those that might make a stink about going all salt. You'll find that there is residual so sometimes you might head back to get that next little snowfall and your account is still pretty much clean.

If you have a v-box now I assume you use bulk? why not have some stored at your site or get your sand/salt supplier start carrying treated?

6. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

sand and salt

One of my equipment salesman told me that the feds are telling municipalities that they can no longer use sand because the sand is stopping storm drains. He said this is being implemented on the population size of the community, the larger the population the sooner they must stop using sand. Don't know if's it's true but that what he said.

7. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

All I have ever used is straight salt. Our biggest client requires it and we have implemented it to all of our commerical accounts. They want salt at any sign of accumulation or ice. We plow at 3 inches and then salt it again. We keep doing this at 3 inche intervals and have had no problems. And there is no mess what so ever in the spring to clean up.