1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about used unimount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pipelayer, Oct 13, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

looking at a used unimount that is going for cheap, in decent shape, needs TLC, lights, hoses, and maybe a few bolts or so. other than basic things to the naked eye, like rams, or leaks, what should I look for in these plows as a flaw, I read they are prone to cracks in the quadrant area, is that noticeable, I also have nothing to test it on, and im positive it is the same electric/hydraulic setup as fisher, being that it is two plug. im familiar with plows, and pumps, but not westerns or their designs, so any insight on worn parts or any common things to look for other than the blatantly obvious would be helpful, its on the cheap, so I could keep it and give it some love or flip it for a few dollars when flakes fly, thanks in advance

2. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY Member

The a-frames can wear out making the plow feel pretty sloppy. but some welding shops have jigs and can just fix the front where the pivot bolt connects the a frame and the quadrant. im sure there are other things but that's the issue i have run into on a few plows.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Check for pitting on the lift ram and, as said above, for a sloppy blade to a-frame pivot bolt. I have seen blades hanging by nothing but the Rams! The bolts don't wear but the loops do. Yes can be repaired but it's all about time and money. Also look at the wiring, especially around the grill plugs.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the fluid too. Not quite sure about the cracking issue.....kinda news to me

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Proplows are not prone to cracking in the quadrant but if it's a standard I have seen cracks in the quadrant because they are lighter duty.