1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about trucks and equipments could affect business's viewing?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Milwaukee, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It pop to me when I was look at lawnsite.com 's thread about oldest F250 which I feel it make their business look bad and low baller.

Question if truck in great shape but it very old or new truck with hell rot body or dents? Which you would choose if customers or client judge on your trucks or equipments?

Would 1980 or up vehicles ok for business or they wouldn't hiring you because they see truck that are too old to be use?

What about if you have brand new truck and they see truck then they feel they are rip off so they go find another one who have old truck?

Just want learn more before buy any truck with diesel in summer. Plan use for mobile welder and locksmith.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Personal apperence is more important then what the truck looks like.
    If you go in dressed and talking like a kid then I wouldn't hire you.

3. PremierPM

PremierPM Junior Member

You can't make everyone happy.
    I personally like being comfortable when I plow.
    That's kinda hard to do in a old junker.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok I see.

Sound I better go with old truck with diesel over truck with computer that control engine or transmission.

What about sign on truck? Mostly I see worst that I would be embarrassed to have on my truck. They just use sticker which look cheap. Would magnet sign with picture of stuff is best?

I notice landscapes here they are good size company but employer wear terrible clothes or half naked.

Who would do remove t-shirt to work during summer? If I was boss I would request t-shirt on or you off this company.

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

obviously newer looks better in any customer eyes...personal appearance and how you communicate is also extremely important

6. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Mil,
    As stated personal appearance and how you carry yourself is far more important than anything-especially when trying to land new clients/work for new clients for the first time.
    You can have old vehicles/equipment and still be and look professional. I understand what you are saying about the new truck (prices are high because he needs to make payments) versus old truck (lowballer,not properly equipped to perform the job). The hardest part is getting your foot in the door-once potential customers get to talk to you,check your references and finally see your work they really won't care what you are driving or using. The business climate today for just about anything is so competitive;along with there being so many conmen and rip-off artist's out there-people are just looking for some one honest,and they want to feel like they are getting what they are paying for.
    As far as working 1/2 naked (no shirt)-I think it all depends on where and who you are working for. If it is in a commercial/retail/industrial setting than you better look professional. Just my 2 cents.

7. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Just maintain what you have. I agree with the previous posts YOU are what represents your company the most! If you talk intelligent, look like you maintain yourself and can prove you do great work then whatever your equipment looks like is not as important. Now with that being said it doesnt mean to let your equipment deteriorate, you MUST take care of whatever you have. It doesnt matter if it is old or brand new, just as long as it looks proffesional, and is reliable.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

common sense tells you the guy with the older, well maintained, reliable truck stands to have a greater profit margin than the guy with the brand new $40,000 truck.

now if you pull up in a 15 year truck dropping oil all over the place, fuming up the air, with rotted fenders - odds are you won't get the job.

if the next guys pulls up with the same model truck that is well maintained, he will not have a problem making the sale as long as his price is right and he carries himself professionally.

the point is, you don't need the 40G truck to get the job. but if you want the brand new equipment go get it, but just realize you'll be working jobs to pay it off for a lot longer than you would a nice, reliable used truck.

and the guy having an old truck being a lowballer is a bunch of BS. i'll plow the same driveway for the same money as the guy with the new truck. only difference is i'll finish with more profit.

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, Really???

I had similar thoughts like that back when I was 14 too. ;)

10. linckeil

from CT

all things being equal, yes. but like the old saying goes, common sense isn't always common. maybe you took a shot to your head shortly after turning 14? now if you're the type of guy that can't change a light bulb when it blows and has to go to the dealer to get it fixed, then maybe an older truck isn't an option for you. but i've been at it for 15 years now and i wouldn't do it any other way. to each his own. :nod:

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's had more then a couple shots to the head. LOL

12. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

:laughing:

13. creativedesigns

14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

haha, took me a second, then I spotted it! Although I truly hate to admit this, Cre does have a point that you cannot judge a book by it's cover.

16. linckeil

from CT

17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

18. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

19. creativedesigns

Troll..........:D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. creativedesigns

" Quote by linckeil "i'm with JD - there's been several blows to your head over the years.:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

You leave Dave S outta this. Until your ready to continue on with some logistics about this point, I suggest you speak your own mind, not what someone else said.

Let me know when your ready again so I can school ur dead beat brain....:nod:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010