1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about truck protection.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by taken, Jan 27, 2009.

1. taken

taken Member

Hey guys,

Have a new truck on the way. I ordered it without the offroad package, but was thinking of adding the tank and transfer case skid plates on my own. They are only about $300 bucks, so not a big deal. Question is are they necessary for plowing? (The truck will never be off road.) I figured they could be nice in case I ever ended up going over a snow pile that ended up being a little more frozen and solid than I planned. Thoughts?
  2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

They are probably not even that much when ordered from the factory. But my thoughts would be yes, you would want them.
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my truck doesnt have the offroad package but it does have the plates
    so the previous owner must have added them if he hadnt i would have
    can never be too carfeul wouldnt want to break anything that might have been preventable
  4. taken

taken Member

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. I got a quote from an online Ford dealer. Should be a bit under $300 with the shipping. They are too heavy to ship UPS so the shipping is what runs them up a bit. Still cheaper than the local dealer's full retail plus tax.
  5. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

If you're not going off-roading why get em?? Just wondering, seems like you're adding uneccessary weight and costs, if you're plowing than you're pushing an obstruction away from you. I had a 94 F-150 with the tank cover and it rotted the gas tank out in 7 years, trapped the road salt against the seam, not sure, but imagine the newer Fords went to plastic but something to keep in mind, just my 2 cents.
  6. taken

taken Member

Yeah, I think the new tanks are plastic. I was just thinking that if ever I ran over a small bank or pile that I thought was just snow and turned out to be hard pack or ice, I would have some measure of protection.
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Well it cant hurt right? better safe then sorry thou i dout ud tare apart the tank on ice the diffs would knock it dow
  8. taken

taken Member

Excellent point. Maybe I'm just looking to add stuff cause it's fun...:jester: But if that is the case, why skids for off roading? You never really hit a rock sideways!?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Diffrent angles when your off road and come over a peak that high centers you its to keep you from dragging a whole threw anything important. And most rocks our caught threw the side you put one tire on it and the back gets loose and boom now its between ur tires
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It is cheap insurance.
  11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I backed over a planter box once, it hit my spare tire. I could see where some protection in the back could be useful.
  12. taken

taken Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will go for it as it's only a few hundred and a pretty easy install once the weather breaks.
  13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

they are not needed but are helpful.

i got caught up on a median/curb in a lot i have never plowed before...had to drive for 200 + feet scraping the bottom of my truck the entire way. thankfully no damage but it would have set my mind at ease that night if i did have all the off road protection / plates.

( to make that night even worse the big blower that does that lot was blowing football sized chunks of ice at my truck. i almost killed the guy driving it when i got out to check my truck and more chunks of ice came my way ! ) :realmad: :realmad::realmad: