1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about truck getting stuck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by buffalonick, Oct 3, 2009.

1. buffalonick

buffalonick Junior Member

I wont be plowing this winter but will be starting in winter 2010. I have been looking alot on youtube and see a ton of videos about plow trucks getting stuck. I plan on running a f250 or 350 with a nice set of snow tires. My question top all of you is, has there been a time you have been stuck, and im not talking just took a little rocking to get out but a real bad situation and what have you done to make sure you dont do it again? Do any of you run a winch on your plow trucks?
  2. buffalonick

buffalonick Junior Member

O and a side note my main concern is because of the type of snow we get in my area. I live in buffalo ny and when it snows we usually get 6 to 10 inches on a good day. We get that lake affect stuff, so im just lookign for some helpful pointers
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't ride the plow up trying to stack snow to the sky! Come on 6-10 of snow ? don't make us sound like a bunch of wimps who can't handle snow.Yes I have gotten stuck before ,even had to get pulled out ,truck slide onto the grass in the early part of the season and the ground was still warm and soft.
  4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

you carry a strap or a chain and a cell phone or radio and you deal with it when it happens. If we sat here worrying about everything that will go wrong we would all quit
  5. grunt19026

grunt19026 Junior Member

Another little trick is to use the plows power angle to gently push the truck backwards.
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

yes ive been stuck, but not in snow, it was in mud. payed 300$ for a tow truck. i was offroading too. if you get stuck sometimexs you can shovel your way out.
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

luckly last year i didnt get stuck. but every year before that it happend a few times. mainly in my grandparents ditch. its a killer lol
  8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

mud will be your only problem. If you get framed out in the snow get on your belly and start digging or call someone if you run up on a burm or curb call someone most likely it will be a jerk doing something stupid and you avoid an accident and get stuck. this means you are going to fast.
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Been stuck a few times, just like GV said, stay off the piles with the front tires, and carry some stuff with you. A shovel, gloves, tow strap/chain, and a cell phone can be your best friend.

I carry a 20 ft logging chain all year round, works great cause if someone is pulling me out, they can try to get on somewat clear pavement and I can adjust the chain as needed.
  10. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Ive also been stuck a few times. My best advice to you is to make sure you know whats under the snow, and the layout of the property!!!! The times ive needed a tow truck was at a property i was not familiar with. Ive needed a tow truck 2 times in 5 years,(very embarassing!haha) but the majority of the time you can work the blade or shovel your way out.

Dont do this, learn from people like me who have done this.haha

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

God, I bet that was a ***** to get that out? The drive just fell off right there? Please tell more.
  12. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

I got stuck a couple years ago. I got a phone call and was backing up, I dropped my passenger side duals off the edge of the drive. I didn't need a tow truck though.....I was driving one:) I hooked a cable around a big tree and pulled myself out.
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I've been stuck my fair shair of times, but never so bad that another pickup couldn't pull me out. My freind got down in a dich once and he had to use a skidder to get his truck out.
  14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

thats the other thing, dont rock it for so long that you burn up your tranny. its amazing how quick that will raise tranny temps.
  15. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Just remember when you're stuck on the pile you can enjoy the short Chain Feature of your plow to make it easier for the guys to pull you out.

We just pull the pins on the plow and take the front end weight off from the plow and use the chain to pull the plow out.

BTW when did you get a 6" storm between midnight and 2 or between 2 and 4 am......

Carry the phone number of some buddies out there plowing too. Someday it will be your turn to pull them out,.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have been stuck stuck twice. Two season ago I get a call to clean out a road/driveway. It had snowed five times over two weeks, the place hadn't been touched. Probably 18 inches snow fall, shrunk down to a foot. I went in with the Vee no problem. Didn't even chain up. Cleaned the place up beautiful, she was super happy. I had plowed around her truck, and thought, I'll make one more pass between her truck and the brand new cedar fence. Slight grade, away from the truck. For some reason I had the blade angled. Hit the snow bank, ass end of truck went sideways. Slid past the last fence post, missed it by about three inches. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Fortunately they had a nice new Kubota 4wd tractor, probably 40HP. Showed her how to lock the rear diff, out I came. What a suck that was. She asked how much, I told her she didn't even have to pay me. Gave me a check for the full price. The second time wasn't quite as bad, but much more visible right in town. First storm of last year. I plow a sidewalk between the apartments and the store. Well, needless to say, the ground wasn't frozen. Straight down to the axles. Had to call a friend. A couple other times I've been a little stuck. Either dug myself out, or pushed myself out with the plow.
  17. wewille

wewille Senior Member

It wasnt fun getting out, but the tow bill wasnt too bad. Thats the beauty of being an automotive technician you get to know the local towing companies!haha Yes the drive had a rock wall there that i was totally unaware of since it was the first time i plowed there. The reason i was unable to check out the property prior to plowing was that they fired the original guy and called me right before a storm. That was in between two storage units that run parallel to a railroad track. You must stay a certain distance from the tracks, so the three building were stepped if you will. They also stepped the concrete in between the buildings. I did not realize that and i fell right off. It was a very very stupid mistake! I will post a picture of what it looks like. Then later in the season i had my skidsteer operator plow that property and i warned him about the drop off before he went to the job. It wasnt more than a half hour later and he called me saying he was stuck. He did the same exact thing except there was snow built up to the top of the rock wall so he was lucky it didnt roll over. He just worked himself out with the bucket.
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'll get stuck at least twice every winter. At least once I won't be able to get out using the plow, by rocking etc and have to call the local tow truck. He gives me pretty steep discounts, now. Last winter, it was plowing a steep downhill driveway a 14" wet&heavy snowfall. Got halfway down and the back end kicked sideways. Couldn't go forward and sure couldn't back out. Last time I plowed that place and only time I ever abandoned a job (absentee owner fired me when I told them it'd take a tractor and loader).

Get in with a wrecker operator and keep his number on speed dial. You can't always count on friends being available and able to get you out of the situation.
  19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've had to do places that i've never seen before and you can't see the boundries or obsticles. You never know what the heck your in for! Thanks for explaining. :salute:
  20. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I carry a 20ft tow strap and a shovel. I've been stuck 3 times in the past 14 years that required another vehicle to help me out of a jam.

Remember to pay it forward - if you see someone stuck - pull over and offer to help.