1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about "trigger" marks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Feb 16, 2015.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hello all, quick question about the "trigger"...... I have several contracts here in my hometown for several commercial accounts.. Most have a two inch trigger and some even have a 1" trigger.... Here in southern Ohio were predicted to get over 10" of snow (rarely happens in southern most part of Ohio). I plow some banks and a license bureau which will all be closed today. My contract states "plowing of snow will be performed on snow fall at a 2" trigger, anything less will be salt only".... Now, since a large majority of these banks etc are closed for the holiday I'm wondering how pissed there going to be if they get billed for multiple pushes..... I actually don't plan to push right at every 2" I don't mind pushing at 4 but gets to be a bear if you let them get much over that. So I'm just wondering what the general answer would be from some others as to what you would do in this situation to keep the piece or just plow at the two inch?? Can't imagine billing someone for 5-6 pushes for one storm but would like some input... Always nice to see what others think. Thanks guys!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely you'll hit them twice by tomorrow morning .Once today and once before they open up tomorrow morning.
  3. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks grandview that's my plan actually. I ran this past a few guys locally yesterday and I was blown away when they said they show up every two inches even when some of there accounts will be closed..... Can't imagine that's a good way to keep accounts. I'm about making money and trying to keep customer happy at the same time if at all possible. Thanks
  4. grandview

Maybe if that's the only place they plow .
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Storms like this we scrape every 2-4 inches, open or closed, busy or not.

I have no desire to plow 10 inches of snow at once unless I have no other option..
  6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I get what you are saying but why have a trigger if you do not plow when it gets there? This is why I plow with the storm and Bill on the storm total. Plus I can not plow them all at the same time when it hits two inches. I will start at one inch and work my way around.

If I had a two inch trigger I would expect that it would be done at two inches.
    Or change the contract to say three inches if they are closed. This way you are still doing what you are contracted to do.
  7. msm63

msm63 Junior Member

What about the atm and deposit box customers, those are designed for use when closed
  8. NLMCT

NLMCT Senior Member
    from CT

very good point... i would plow whatever your contrac states
  9. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Good point!! I just got back from clearing those..... I simply need to do a better job clarifying on my contracts next year.... I touched base with most everyone by email and most of them have gotten back to me and said to just do whatever and they trust me..... I do have a good relationship with these folks that I plow for in my hometown so I'm pretty sure they know I'm not out to rip anyone off.
  10. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Edit: see you addressed it at the same time i was typing.

Not trying to be a jerk but that scenario should be spelled out in your contract with how it will be handled. 10" in Ohio isn't so rare that you wouldn't have a plan for it.

My work was all resi seasonal so not apples to apples but we had it all spelled out in contract. 1" trigger, but we didn't start until snow was done, except when snow was anticipated for 4"+ or 12+ hours. In that case we went to morning/evening clearings until snow was done and every body was clear.

Not to say any way is the right way, just have a plan in place.
  11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Oh I agree with you 100% man.... Next year I will have my ***** together...... I'm sitting here staring at my contract and its very Grey area'd so that's my fault..... I actually like how you outlined things about your resi customers.... May steal that from ya! ;-)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  12. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Our commercial work all has a 1" trigger but Its explained that is just the accumulated total before work will be started. If the storm is only for 3" we wait will its done, maybe hit drive lanes if its horrible timing mid day.

We have a mix of seasonal and per push. They both get the same treatment, for a situation like yours, they would probly get cleared 2-3 times.
  13. grandview

I think you give them a seasonal price and all the guess work is taken out. Plow till it stops.
  14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

How do you figure? Nobody wants to plow any more than they absolutely need to. Every time you push, you use some of that bankroll.