1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about tractor size an capabilty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GreenPoint, Oct 11, 2014.

1. GreenPoint

GreenPoint Junior Member

Hi I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any feedback.
    I'm looking to buy a Kubota M6040 65hp tractor and put a 8-10' snow pusher in it.
    The tractor weighs 5500 lbs dry weight but could be as much as 9000 lbs (maybe a little more) with tire weights, front end loader etc.

I've always used plow trucks in the past and this would be my first experience with a tractor and snow pusher.

I'll be using it on a medium sized factory parking lot that is probably 15-25 acres if I were to guess. I also plan on having a f550 with a 9.50ft v plow on site.

Would this machine setup be big enough to effectively push snow or am I wasting my time? (We try to push every 3 inches)

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'm curious about this too....

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

With rim guard in the tires, and the right operator, I think it would do OK. Is it hydrostatic? Hydro is great for around the farm, but for serious work I would rather have a direct drive standard transmission with a reverser/shuttle shift. The hydros I have used seem to have trouble holding momentum. Momentum would be key.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

20-25 with two plows....... Really

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

With the equipment you have listed and the size of the lot it would take 8 hours plus to clean the lot and on a longer storm you would not keep up.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Is this a joke?

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

15-25 acres with one small tractor is NOT enough. I have a hard time believing you plow this with pickups and are able to get it done in a timely manner....

One wheel loader with 12' pusher and one tractor or bobcat with a 10' pusher would be they minimum equipment I would put on that site. Just my .02

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Unless the tractor is needed year round, a larger sized articulated loader would definitely be a better way to spend the money.

9. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

The tractor won't be your answer at all for this property. If you wanted a tractor for other reasons....sure...it will help you on this property. But $ for $, you are better off with a wheel loader or a skid.
    Don't get me wrong....15-25 acres.....you need way more equipment.

10. aslc

aslc Junior Member
    from iowa

I have a M 7040 Kubota and we push a 10 artic pusher with it. it would not handle anymore. with the loader the Artic the tractor Loaded tires and a blower on the back our tractor is about 11600 pounds
    it pushes good straight but it won't turn at all with a full box.that tractor will not put a dent in the 20 acre parking lot. If you run a rubber edge pusher 8 foot would be max

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You need a lot more iorn on a lot that size.

Have you ever taken care of a property anywhere near this size?

If you have, you're way off in left field as to equipment you need.

If you haven't, you need to step away from this one now and wait until you have the experience to do it. The financial consequences when, not if, but when you fail will be enormous.

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Nope it will not be of any use on a lot that size, unless you plan on using it to do all the cutting around the islands and obstacles. Buying a tractor at 5,500 lbs and then adding another 3,500 lbs does not change the fact its a 5,500 lbs tractor. That size property you will need a good sized loader, or at least two large size tractors in the 120 - 15o HP range.