1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 2007 GM 1 tons. One is a 4x4 pickup, the other is a 2wd dump truck. I was going to get them both lifted with the 2" leveling kit. I don't exactly know how to ask my question, but I will give it a shot. I took them to a friend that's a mechanic, and he told me that the torsion keys (stock) are the same thing as the keys that I got in the aftermarket kit. He cranked the torsion bars on the 4x4 truck, and got 2 1/8" out of them. The dumps are cranked but the plow mount still hits the ground.

Now talking to the guy I bought the kit from, he says that those parts are different and made to take the extra load. He also says that if we put the aftermarket parts in, I will get an additional 2" of lift higher than the stock keys cranked up all the way. That is the exact opposite of what my friend says about them...

My head is spinning with all this info. So figured I would come here and see if anyone knows the answer straight up. Any help is appreciated.

Brant

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The lift keys are clocked differently than the stock ones. So you should get more height out of them over the stock keys.

3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

^Exactly the way I was told. I have the "green" keys (not in the truck yet) and from what I was told they are indexed differently so ou get more lift out of each turn vs a stock key. I guess I'll know myself soon enough.

4. mossman381

Your 2wd dump has t-bars?

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Yes sir it does! Is that strange?

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for the help guys.

7. mossman381

I thought the 2wd's had coil springs. I guess you learn something new everyday :)

8. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

not on a 2wd 2500 or 3500. all gm 3/4 and 1 tons hace t-bars no matter if its 2wd or 4wd.

9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

One thing to look for in a Tbar crank is that.YOU do not max them out bad things can and will. I have seen them time after time snap
    i found out the hard way it came through the floor and bent my passenger side seat ;-( and did you get it a alignment after the crank?

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Buy yourself a kidney belt, you'll need it. You sure the plow mount is installed correctly?