1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about tires on my gmc 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mmasini, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mmasini

mmasini Junior Member

hey guys, i just got a great deal on some used like new tires. the problem is size. i have LT 265 70 16 on my truck now (95 gmc 1500) but the ones i bought are LT 225 75 16 . do you think i will have no problem with plowing or am i screwed on using these?

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Those are quite a bit smaller than your factory tires. Maine law prohibits putting an inspection sticker on your truck with that size tires one it. Besides, it's not safe. You will actually be riding on the sidewall because they are too thin for the factory rims.

3. mmasini

mmasini Junior Member

thanks, the thing is, they are not stock rims. and i dont quite get why i would be riding on the side wall anyhow. 16 " tires fit on 16 " rims right?

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

What he's saying is, when you mount the skinny tires on your wider rims it pulls the bead out to the rim which will cause the tires to grind off the edge of the tread at the sidewall.

Sell the tires and buy some that fit.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I don't know what size rims you have now, but a 1995 1500 would have come with 225 75 16 tires on it. Skinny tires work much better for plowing than fat ones.

6. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

The two wheel drives could of possibly had that size. If he was running 265's, the rims are probably at least 7.5 inches wide, too wide for the 225's.

7. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Do me a favor. Open the drivers side door and look at the stickers on the rear edge. What is the tire size stated on the sticker? What is the load rating?

Also, look at the rim and see if you can see any numbers stamped. what exactly are those numbers? It will probably indicate 16 x 7.5 or 16 x 8.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  8. mmasini

mmasini Junior Member

yes it says 16 x 7.5 and 265

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'd say you could run 245 75 16, but I wouldn't go skinnier if it were my truck.

I run 245 "snow tires" in winter, and 265 all seasons in summer on my 2500.

10. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Then you cant legally run those 225's in maine, nor would I want to on those rims.

11. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

LT235-85R16's would be the smallest I would go. Because they are tall, you can still run them legally. And because they are skinny, a studded set absolutely rips through the snow and ice.

12. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Good luck finding someone to install them. There aren't many places that will install tires that aren't with in the legal range for size. I know a shop up here that probably would. But I would never let him touch one of my vehicles any ways.