1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about tier pricing for resi's

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ss502gmc, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

What seems to be the most common way resi's choose to be billed or what you guys do the most? I've always done per push and seasonal but have been trying to do it by the inch in 6" increments and no one seems to like it. I explain that the first push covers up to 6 inches and so on because I refuse to push over a foot of heavy wet snow at the end of a storm and abuse my equipment because they're too cheap to pay more. I explain it to them this way as well. This isn't an issue with my commercials but have been trying to get more resi's. Just lookin for some input. Thanks
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you are seasonal, I take you do it a couple of times per storm to make them happy and alleviate the stress on your equipment...right.!? Treat the per push the same way, they have a choice per push or seasonal service is the same. Once you start letting them dictate the when and how's you lose your route profitability. Keep it simple too, don't complicate it with fancy formulas, they just zone out and think you're trying to screw them.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Up to 6 inches,they may think your cheating them. You had a good combo billing system, stick with it.
  4. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

We changed everything to either seasonal or event rates. All of our resis are seasonal, 80% of them pay upfront. About 1/2 commercial are event. None really had a problem with that change just some questions on how it works. We do 1_3 3_6 6_9 and 9_12, hourly after (we don't even say the hourly rate as they.trust us)
  5. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

And don't let them change how you plow, we typically try to not let.more then 4".
  6. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

The way I've always worked a storm was being out from the first inch and don't stop till everything is 100% clean. Then there has always been those few that want end of storm which is why I started offering them the per inch basis that way I can keep everything manageable on my route. I like keeping everything clean and not built up. I don't mind making a pass on a driveway in the middle of the night to make it easier on me in the morning but I don't wanna plow a foot for $40-$50 when the next door neighbor is paying double for the same service. It's my fault I've had some of those but that's what I'm trying to fix this year. For a 12" snowfall I'll typically make 3 total passes on the whole route and do final cleanups on the last one.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We do resi's both seasonal or per push. I explain to everyone kind of the same thing, I tell them we start AROUND 3", "but I dont get out there with a ruler" (unless other agreements are made) and if its still snowing we may be there 2,3,4 times throughout the storm because Im not pushing double and triple the amount of snow for the same price. Everyone seems to get it but we have great customer's now and its taken us years to get them. We might have issues with 2 new customers that go out of town for the season but thats why we have on board cameras.
  8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

My tiered pricing has been very well liked so far. 1-6 inches is one price which I usually factor in if I have to come back for cleanup, 6-12 is time and a half. 12+ is double. I feel like it works out for me and for them and nobody has complained yet.
  9. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

This is exactly what I've been trying to do, I thought it was pretty simple and straight forward!?