1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about the western tornado

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bake's boss, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Bake's boss

Bake's boss Junior Member

im looking at getting a new salter i was thinking about getting the western tornado but i wanted to talk to someone that has one. does that rubber conveyor work as good and a metal one. and the 1/2 horse power electric motor is that strong enough with a load of salt. i would rather get a steel salter but i dont thik i would be able to get it in my truck because i do not have a machine to load it in my truck. does anyone have a solution for me to get a salter in my truck or any information about that western tornado than let me know.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

not worth its salt

i new a guy that bought one after buying a salt dog ,and he returned it that night ,he said it was the cheesiest spreader he ever saw the money was right but the quality for the money spent was wrong,

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have one. It worked great for me last year. There is a upgrade kit out right now. I have to take mine by the dealer to get it. Ran salt/sand mix thru it. Best part about it I would say is the folding barn doors on the top to keep things dry and protect the truck when loading. Easy to take out and wash the bed out. Last year I spreaded 4 triaxle dump truck loads of salt / sand mix with it. One thing too that I did which was kinda handy is I picked up a load of bulk salt in it, which stayed dry and then took the spinner off and basically unloaded the salt into bins which I used to fill 5 gallon pails for sidewalks.
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Don't was your money. Get a salt dogg.
  5. daplowman

daplowman Member

What is the upgrade kit,

Is this the intial recall shear bolt and tensioner or is it more?
  6. MDSP

MDSP Member

Get a salt dogg.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a Salt Dogg.
  8. Bake's boss

Bake's boss Junior Member

i think im leaning more twards the salt dog but the only problem with a salt dog is how do i get it in and out of my truck
  9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

un load

do you have a fork truck there are lifting channels made into the spreader base for lifting
  10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Two big guys can get it into a truck. First lift up one end and rest it on end of the bed. Then pick up the other end and push it into the bed. Four straps, hang the spinnner, plug in 2 plus. AKA 5 mins of set up time.
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

2 average guys can load, its really not bad.
    If your a one man band, I use my engine hoist as well. Just lift the front up, back under. Move sling to back tie down points and lift her up the rest of the way. Slide it in, Tie her down and hook up the spinner. Its not really that bad.
    Takes 10 minutes by yourself and that is just cause the ram on my hoist takes some time to raise up.
  12. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I can load my tornado by myself it is easy