1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 85F150, May 1, 2004.

1. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i am new to them but i would like to use them to better my visibilty to other vehicles since i do lots of plowing in alot of hilly areas..ok, would i just need a switch to use one of these self contanied strobes http://www.strobesupply.com/wic3scpage.asp and would it flash/be bright enough or should i just save the cash and go for one of the 4 head kits with 40 watts..only prob i see is they are clear, how wold i make them amber or would i instale the front ones in the turn signal lenses and then buy some amber lenses for the rear and mount them? thanks for the help

2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

If you "switch" to one of those strobes, would you be replacing a turn signal or clearance light?? Won't that light be hidden behind your plow blade?? I think most of the operators on here use some kind of strobe mounted on the roof of thier trucks..

I have floods that point front and read and if there's any doubt that someone doesn't see my strobe, I'll turn them on to light up the night.. My custom bumber also has driving lights mounted in the bumber itself to light up the back when I'm backing up.. Then I have one of those back up alarms that help a little too..

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you can get a 4 head strobe kit, one for each corner. Its alittle extra but you can also get amber strobes. You cant have any flashing red or blue, only amber so putting them your brake lights is a no no. I would try a roof mounted strobe first like klOan said.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The one's you sent the link to are self contained strobe heads. Your post sounds like you are talking about hideaways, which would require a separate power pack and mount inside your tail or parking lights as an additional bulb. You can get amber strobe bulbs for hideaways that you could mount inside your back-up light lenses giving you amber to the rear. You still should have a roof light of some sort for plowing. I looked into equipping my truck with all hideaways but Maine law requires one light "mounted as high as practical" when operating a plow from or into a public way. That said someties I think my minibar is not enough. I am looking to add some low side/rear flashing amber next fall.

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

yea, maybe what i posted was a little confusing. i already have a roof strobe light. The link was just for the self contained unit, because i didnt know how many people knew about them. I was refering then to which is better between a self contained unit or a 4 strobe head system. And if i got the four head system i would mount the front two in the plowlight turn signals lenses, then drill a hole above each tailight for an amber round lense to ount the strobes into.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

nomatter what you do you will want ATLEAST 15 watts per head for night-time use. 23-28 watts is preferable if they will be used in the daylight

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

so when you say 15w per head or the 23 - 28 per head, then i need to multiply that by the number of heads i want? For example one of the complete systems i looked at were 40w, that would only be 10w's per side if i am doin that correctly? so then basical i want something close to a 100watt system? thnks

8. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

Down here in North Carolina, we use 90 watt strobe kits that work great for curved and hilly roads. also works great in commercial parking lots along with roof mounted strobes. Installation time is about 2 hours depending on your truck. I wouldn't plow without them down here.

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Strobes can drive you batty in heavy snow IMO. they tend to bounce off the snow. I Have a bar with halogens and strobes in it and like being able to yanks the strobes if need be.....my point is even though its ok and just an anoyance IMO at times in heavy snow I can see how it would drive someone nuts and be distracting if it was bouncing off the plow if in the turnsignal/headlights. Strobes are very picky with mmoisture I hear. If you are making the thing quick connect to the plow then keep this in mind with extra connectors.

Check with local laws on colors pointing in what direction. Some guys have mounted hide aways in the cargo light. Hide aways can give a really clean look too. They can be a pain trying to figure out a place to put them that wont get to close and melt things though. Given the same amount of power self powered and hide aways(or other pods and such driven off a power supply) have the same warning power.

Your correct on your power figuring. Clear is brighter than the other colors so you could get away with less juice if you go all clear but many states view clear as for emergency stuff.

10. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

ok thanks for the help on the powering issue, yea i am almost positive that i couldn't have claer ones flashing. That is why i figure i would get the flush mount amber lenses maybe 2inc diam and mount them above my tailights in the bed (it is trashed from offroading anyway) and instlle the strobes in there, then for the fron put them in the plow lights-turn signals housings...on the moisture thing i could get weather tight diconnects with the 0-ring around them to help seal them out ?

11. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Why the concern about strobes to the front? IMO if you are actively plowing and get hit in the front your pretty well screwed. I find a need for more light at the rear of the truck (furthest away from me and the light bar) when backing out into the street etc. I also have found that front facing yellow or white lights below my line of sight end to draw my eyes right to them. For that reason (and bad experiences with both) I won't use lighted bumper guides or wig wag headlights (on emerg vehicles) at night if I am driving.

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the deutsch or how ever you spell em conecters are good for weather.

If you are going for hide aways or strobes that need to be powered off a supply then stick with those IMO. No sense buying a powersupply and then paying more for some selfcontained units then you would for just the tubes or some pods. JMO

I like forward facing for transport especially over narrow roads. Gives the other drivers a heads up so they are more likely to give you room to begin with and or not freak when they look up and see a big 9'6" chunck of steel coming at em. No sense going overboard though.....I really prefer some halogen rotators on a backrack or roof. Although if you will be doing lots of bacling into traffic something as far back and higher the better would definatly help. They make strobe pods that look like clearance lights and leds that look like clearance lights too. Maybe some of those on the bed in the back. Just make sure what ever you use it aint directly in your line of sight, bouncing off snow and such is bad enough without it flashing right in your eyes.