1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about strobe lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikemac, Dec 12, 2003.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

how exactly do you run wires for hide way strobes and a mini light bar in your truck?
    i'm looking to put a 4 head hide away system in and i am trying to get a feel for the difficulty.

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

There is a central power supply thats mounted in a dry area, many guys mount it under the seat. It needs a switched, fused power wire, good ground, and a cable to each strobe head. The strobe heads mount in a hole you drill in the back of the turn signal and brake light housings. Avoid the cheap systems, as they don't have very good connectors, and the power supply is pretty weak. Each head needs 15-20 watts. A 90 watt power supply is pretty good. Whelen is probably the best, but Nova, and SVP are close seconds.

3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

absolutly correct however dont put the lights in the tail lights due to the fact that they will flash red when on always put them in blinkers or clear lenses with amber bulbs this way you wont get a ticket for using the wrong color

4. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

I put my Nova on the back bulkhead behind the back seat. The location meets all the installation requirements. I would think under the seat can present some problems, esepecially if it is carpeted. Nova recommends mounting to a metal surface to aid in the cooling of the power unit.

dcp00499.jpg

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

In NY it's legal to use flashing red to the rear, but, you're right, amber to the rear is more visible, and makes it clear that you're a hazard vehicle, not an emergency vehicle.. I haven't had much success with strobes in the front turn signals for plowing. Seems they are always reflecting off the snow covered plow blade into your eyes. Roof mounted strobes are much more visible, and can be seen above snow banks, etc.