1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about starting a plowing business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ss502gmc, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I am curious to know exactly what i need to get started with my plowing business, i have businesses calling me left and right for quotes but they are saying that they require a 1,000,000 liability ploicy which i usually carry a 500,000 policy on my passenger plates that includes snowplowing. Do i need commercial plates and insurance?
    and they also told me i needed workers compensation insurance is this typical? And one other thing should i get a Fed Tax ID#? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go talk to your insurance man first. The insurance may be so high you will re-consider plowing. Whatever you do make sure you have insurance. No idea on why the workers comp if you are a 1 man show. If you are running it as a business you should already have a Fed ID #. IMO
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The insurance bump shouldn't be that bad.Yes you should have a tax id number all ready you need one if your filing taxes and opening up a bank account and collecting sales tax.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

commercial auto ins may be cheaper

they want workers comp because they dont know that even if you are a one man show that you are actually doing it yourself and not hiring aa buddy on the side for cash, this isnt hard to get either

i dont know that commercial plates mean anything they dont here its just a different weight bracket
  5. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

yes insurance is a must, most places usually want 1,000,000/2,000,000 commercial liability around here bfore they will even consider you, and plates shoudnt matter all it is here is a different weight limit
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

when they said i million liability they meant general business liability nothing to do with your auto but some will spec how much auto ins
  7. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Most States if you are a one man operation your ss# is your federal tax number.
    At least in my state it is.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Those are 2 different types of numbers.Business have a tax id number and your ss number is for your personal use.