1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about special packages?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Hey guys,
    I had a question? If you got to the dealer, Can you get a special
    package with the plow,salter,lights,switches etc..? Because today,
    I stopped by my dealer to look at some trucks. There was a brand new for f-450 2003 just sitting there! It had a 9ft western,
    a swanson tailgate spreader, a lightbar, and about 20 switches!
    This thing was mint! I went in and talked to the dealer about the truck! He said the village bought it to add to the fleet of the publicworks dept. He said it's big bucks to get something like this!
    I remember pelican bought something like this! So, do you guys know if you can buy something like this? The dealer told me the price was around 61,100. So can you buy something like this?
    If you could, would you recomend it? or is it cheaper to just buy it all seprate and then get it all installed?
    thanks,

Ultimate lawns and more,

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Canadian, maybe.

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

my 99 F350 PSD 4X4 came with a tenco dump/spreader husky wing plow and a western 9ft straight blade with one beacon.i think it was around $54,000.go to a ford truck dealer.they always have setups like this.my truck had eveything but the side plow and i had them install it before i bought it.a regular dealer may not do this or charge way more because they wanna sell whats on the lot which is full of cars and maybe a truck or two.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well for one thing your talking about a town truck.And If you got the money they have the products for you .Is it convinet to buy it with every thing on it yes do they make a mark up on it most likely yes.
    If I was you I would price around ,Pelican bought the chassiss and then had tarrent put the body and lights on it.But I think because they don't have xlt's in there pool.If you go to a dealer you might get a package deal if you buy plow,sander and have strobes installed .

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

get the stuff put on yourself. if the dealer has someone install a plow on one of their trucks, they pay for the install and mark it up, so they can make a little$$ on it too. I saw a local dealr. two years ago charging $4500 for a 7.5 WESTERN pro plow uni-mount on a 2500. They called it a Monroe package on their option sticker. Bet the plow didn't even cost them $3K. As the price of $61K for that Ford, I bet it was, after they marked up everything they had installed

6. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

It was a 4 door. Could that raise the price a little? It also had all the paint and lettering on it!

Ultimatelawns and more,

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

just the 350 cab and chassis are around 28,000
    dump bed/sander 12,500
    plus sidewing and plow 11,000
    lights 600

plus i got a fleet discount because all my trucks came from the same dealer.

but the plow setups i could of got for 9,000 and the dumper installed for 10,999.

its just easyer paying a little more to have a dealer set it all up.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Price it out both ways, with me it was about even. One advantage to having the dealer do everything is you can finance the whole truck as a package with the manufacturer's low rates.

Most upfitters cut the dealers a discount to give them a markup that compares to what you would pay the upfitter, so it's a wash anyway. What I've done is make arrangements with the dealer as to what I want, and then go straight to the outfitter with my specs to make sure nothing gets lost in the translation.

That price isn't out of line, especially for a crew cab. Was it diesel and automatic?

9. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey pelican, it was deisel!
    thanks,

Ultimate Lawns and More

10. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Mike, mentioned the Tenco on his Ford. For the town highway I ordered two Tenco dump/w/chain spreaders and Tenco 11 ft pwr agle plows. Tried many of the other brands out there offered for municipalities. MHO Tenco is the best designed yet.

11. BIG M

BIG M Member

Oh Yes I've seen lots of those packages.
    My last truck i bought was a F250 super duty super cab 4x4.
    They had some with plows and such on them.
    I remember for a western plow it was around $4500.00
    I went and found out who sold and installed the plow for the dealer and he sold me a new western 8" unimount for $3300.00 cash...
    The dealer is gonna make money on you. Count on that.

Oh yes by the way.. I work for Ford Motor Co.
    The dealers will make money on you.
    So shop around.

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i use to work for ford and they would charge 100 to bring the truck to have it out fitted.then add a 100 here and there.

lamarbur

which model dumps do you have and where did u get yours?

13. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

these were for the highway dep't, not personal. In either case, tri-county in West Springfield MA

14. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Mike 9497
    Just realized I didn't quite answer your question all the way through. We have IH/Navistar 2500 series trucks w/Tenco 11 ft/7-8 yard bodies. These bodies turn sidewards to push sand/salt against floor chain. This chain pulls the sand to fron of body spinner. First year I removed spinner, hung an old ductwork piece on, and filled along a serwer drain sytem we were installing. 3/4 wash stone came out about perfectly, filling around the 24"pipe. The trucks plows are also Tenco, 11 ft, power angle. have three trip blades for city sewer grates. I bolted ours together as we have no grating systems in town. Very heavy blades also, if I remember, 2700 lbs. each.. I would recommend Tenco to anyone who wants a great design, very little to no problem system.

15. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have the tenco husky dump body/spreader.it's the same as the big boys just smaller holds 3 yards but i get 4 in it

16. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Mike 9497
    Can't go wrong with the Tenco body Have you looked at their plow set ups? I haven't really loked below their 11 ft model. I'm sure they have them much smaller though. On our Tenco's one of the things that sold me was "simple cleaning the undercarraige". They have a honeycomb style frame work that can be cleaned w/high pressure water. I noticed in next town over with a Heil, same size and all, cannot clean underneath because it is all box channel frame. I haven't checked back now, I think that boxed frame by now is rusting. Tenco early on addressed thse other things most of us don't think about every day.

17. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

If you're buying a Ford, they offer a rebate up to $1000 for an upfit. (plow, etc.). You just have to show the truck will be used in your business. I bought mine off the lot with the plow installed, and got the $1000 rebate. You have to ask about it, most salesmen don't know about it unless they do a lot of commercial sales. It took my dealer 20 minutes to find the paperwork. It's called an upfit rebate, part of the "Commercial Connection" program.