1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about snowblowers

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cody_lick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

Where i live it rains in addition to the snow and my snowblower's shoot will get clogged being its so heavy with the rain mixed in. Does anyone have any advice to make it work cuz i am tired of having to shovel it all. I shovel mine and 4 of my neighbors and i am gonna try to expand and i would love to be able to use the blower instead of having to shovel it all every storm. Its just residential stuff and its not big but its time consuming when i have to shovel it all. So any info would be greatful

Cody:help:

2. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

i dont know if their is much you can do other than get out their early and do it multiple times a storm when their isnt that much snow

3. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

thanks i'll try that see if it works

4. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

that is definitely the nicest UTV setup i have EVER seen! Can't wait til you get plow videos up!

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

what type of blower you running ?

6. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

i think its a craftsman 22inch its a few years old but works like a charm

7. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Don't they say that Fluid Film works pretty good, and stays on longer than WD-40, just a thought.

8. LEVE

LEVE Member

You may want to order one of these, or make your own. Click on the graphic...

[​IMG]

9. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower etc.

=================================================================

WD 40 works very well even for the wet stuff but the fluid film works even better.

Just make sure you spray or paint the living daylights out of it(meaning the entire inside of the blower especially the fan housing before using the blower. Also do not hesitate to shut the fan off and stop the blower when its getting bogged down a bit too.

The cooking sprays work in a pinch too but as you cab get the WD 40 in gallon pails I would invest in a gallon. after you use the WD 40 up you will be able to pour a gallon can of fluid film in the gallon can and have a very handy dispenser for it as well.

The fluid film product is available at the larger john Deere tractor dealers or directly from fluid film in spray cans or gallon pails or five gallon pails or larger barrels..

Be sure to use some sea foam in the gasoline at every fill up to prevent problems with the engine too, you can purchase it at a NAPA store or Tractor Supply Company.

Leon :drinkup::waving:

10. Rubicon 327

That's Cool, I have not seen anything like that.

Any personal experience with it?

11. LEVE

LEVE Member

Somewhat!

Last year I gave away a 17 year old Craftsman Tracked snow blower that wouldn't throw snow worth beans. Everything I checked was good, replaced the belts, etc.. It turned out the gravel in my driveway bent up the 2nd stage impeller. The impeller's bends looked factory so I dismissed it. The darned thing would just make little snow-bricks with heavy snow, and light snow would throw about 4' to the side.

The guy I gave it to has a 15 year old boy who is mechanically inclined. He took on the job of resurrecting the snow blower. It took him a couple of days to determine the impeller was shot and then they had sticker shock for the cost of a new one. The kid looked on the internet for a solution and found the kit. His dad's a mechanical engineer and decided he could make one. He went down to a local rubber supply house and bought some sheet rubber, cut the rubber pieces and installed them.

That 17 year old snow blower has never worked so well. It does throw snow further than it was when it was new. My friend is now experimenting with various sheet rubber compounds to see what he likes best. He pushes the rubber blade right up against the housing, somewhat deforming it. This causes it to "wear-in" when under power and load. It does sweep the 2nd stage housing and throw out everything in it's path, providing a good seal for the blade.

I missed that tracked blower so much that I found one on Craig's list for a song that worked adequately. I brought it home and though it works well, I'll install this kit on it soon. Though I have the Ford Ranger/Snow sport to plow with, sometimes it ain't enough. My 12'X50' deck gets snow blown onto it from the roof and it's no picnic shoveling it by hand. A tracked blower provides all the muscle and doesn't leave any marks on the synthetic decking surface. This will give you an idea of what happened last year when we had record snowfall and all my snow removal stuff was broken... I was in space management mode within 2 hours and had to call in the big boys to clear the stuff.

snow 2.jpg

snow 1.jpg

12. Rubicon 327

Wow, now that is some snow!

Thanks for the personal experience info on that kit.

13. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

thanks for all the replies i will have to try the spray first and then go to the kit if that doesn't work. Thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming

14. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

steel chute? try ski wax

15. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

also PB Blaster works well, I would hate to waste Fluid Film on that, so I use the PB blaster it is oil based and stays on and also very slick

On a side note, the little toro power snowblowers with the rubber blades in there, it is about two feet wide, are the best things for slush, there is no schute just directions for throwing, just a nice 2 cycle. You can find used one real cheap I carry one of those on the slushy days, never let me down and can handle up to about 5 inches of slush, the older version, not the newer models with the schute

16. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not sure whether your chute is steel or plastic. Steel chutes plug worse than plastic. I have an Erskine blower on a skid steer and it has a slick white plastic material riveted to the inside of the steel chute. But there's a point where if the snow is too wet a blower just don't work.

17. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

plastic chute i am actually going to dig it out hopefully today since i am off but i gotta get 2 street bikes out of the way and a freezer first

18. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Give it a good coat of Fluid Film, whether it's steel or plastic. Fluid Film doesn't freeze and leaves a wet, slick, non-drying film. It will help.

19. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

i will pm you as soon as i am able to send pm's

20. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I can relate! :D Spent most of the weekend rearranging things. 8-12" blizzard on the way tomorrow & Wednesday for Iowa.