1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about Snoway plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Dec 14, 2001.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at buying a used snoway plow. I think it is about 4-6 years old, but has only been used for one season, and has been sitting in this guys yard for the rest of the time. It is an 8 foot 25 series plow. I really want a 7'6" plow, and would prefer the lighter 24 series 7'6" plow. So, my question is- Would I be able to put a 24 series plow on the 25 series set up? thanks, Nick
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Ask either Bryan or Alan on this site. They should be able to tell you.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that Alan mentioned before that the Snoway frame is interchangable. This would mean you could change any Snoway plows (maybe not all, not sure, but .....) on the same frame. Be sure to check with Alan or Bryan to make sure my info. is correct.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You didn't mention what you would be hanging it on, but if it's a full size truck, why not stay with the 8'? To answer your question, yes, you can swap the 24 moldboard onto the 25 A-frame and power pack. It has been my experience that bigger is better and the weight difference is so small as to be irrelevant. Keep in mind that you're hearing this from a nutcase who runs 8' Series 25 plows on S-10s.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Alan... the weight difference between the 24-series and the 25-series is litterally only a few pounds I think. I'd stick with the 8-footer.
  6. oldmankent

Plow switcharoo

Thanks for the replies guys. I also talked to a snoway dealer in the area. He said that I could change it no problem. Here is my case. I have a 96 F250 ext. cab long bed with the PSD. Front GAWR is 4600. I'm trying to stay within the axle capacity believe it or not. I was told by the dealer that it wouldn't be much of a weight difference either. With my length, the long plow is good, but I am worried about the axle too much weight on it. I guess it just means I"ll need a lot of ballast behind the rear axle. Anyone have any ideas how much ballast? Nick
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

500 or 600 lbs of ballest is good in any pick up truck that plows. You won't believe how much easier heavy snow pushes.

Last spring we had like 10 or 12" of wet heavy snow. Pick up trucks with straight blades were being toss around. It was just the snow was so heavy to move, and was falling so fast, it was a hard storm to plow. So all the pick ups came back to the shop, and got about a yard of sand/salt mix. Yes the extra weight is hard on the truck, however the trucks went where they wanted to go.

8. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

Sno-Way Plows

You will like your plow if you get it. Stay with the 8'er. I like my 9'er so far. :D
  9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Oldmankent, if you have any sagging throw some timbrens on the front and that will help, Geoff is also right, make sure you do have some ballast in the rear as all should have if running nothing else in the rear. I would also suggest making sure you completely change the fluid in the system if it has been sitting for a long time. About the age of the plow, if you want to make sure how old it is, take the serial # off the A-frame plate and call your dealer and have him call Sno-Way, we can tell you by the # how old it is.
  10. oldmankent

Bought the snoway

Well, I looked at the plow today, and ended up buying it. Had to get about $350 worth of missing parts which are on order to get it operational. So, I ended up paying about $1600 overall for the whole thing. the guy bought it in December of 96 and used it for about 40 hrs. It has been sitting ever since. It actually is a 7.5' (2590). I'll be able to stay within my axle weight, which I'm pleased about. I'm definitely planning on changing all the fluids possible, and if anyone else has any other suggestions please do unload them on me. I remember reading in past posts about a weak link in the plow frame that could be fixed with a little welding. I'm not going to be doing any heavy plowing, but if it is worthwhile to have the welding done, I think I'd do it. thanks for all the replies, nick.
  11. peewee

peewee Member

If you need a bracket to fit the snoway to your truck let me know. I have a ford bracket that I sort of got stuck with and would love to get rid of it. Still in the box too!