1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about scoop plow

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by dyllan78, Mar 5, 2014.

1. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

I have an 8' straight blade poly right now and love it. Been about 6 years and i haven't even changed a hose on it. I was thinking about trying a scoop on a new truck that i just bought. My question is when I'm plowing a road with the scoop and its angled all the way to one side, will it act like a straight blade and poor out the side?
  2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

You can windrow with a scoop plow but it is not ideal. The best performance is straight ahead plowing. Plowing mostly roads would still be best with a straight blade.
  3. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

Got it, I'm better off just adding the box ends on my straight blade only when I need them.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If you're looking for the benefits of both scoop and straight go with an expandable plow like a power plow or wideout.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

What snowguy said. I run a 9' scoop with no issues windrowing over the last 7 years.
  6. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

If I can windrow with a scoop i would feel better using the scoop than a wideout. I feel like more can go wrong with a wideout than a one piece plow. I've also been considering a c plow. I wish I could convert my old mount to the new one so I could switch them back and forth from truck to truck. Thanks for the feedback.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Why would anybody ever consider a "C" plow??? I can backdrag as well as I'll ever need to with my regular v plow (and it doesn't have a back drag edge on it). That c plow seems like nothing but a useless gimmick to me. More moving parts to break etc...
  8. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

I decided to go with a V plow
  9. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

You have obvously never used a C-plow then. I've had zero problems with mine (14 years) and I can backdrag better than any other plow on the market. If you can draqg enough with your V for what you need then stay with that but if you really have to backdrag a lot then the C just can't be beat. It's no gimmick.

On the original question, I'm going to get a scoop plow myself to add along with my C.