1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about salting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Breck75, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Would you guys salt on Sunday morning at a Post Office if it is suppose to warm up Sunday afternoon? I just don't want to charge for something that may not be necessary. Thanks in advance. :waving: Breck
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know the situation at the P.O. you do, but we do several in our area. They get mail deliveries 24/7, even when closed. We have one that has an up hill grade to the dock area. They go nuts if there is any ice and the trucks can't back in. I would say do it if it needs it. We base our services on current conditions, not on what may happen later.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes Breck I would salt that job. They have people dropping off mail all times of the night and day. My customers are all closed until Monday am so I will not salt. Its going to warm up over here so it will all melt.

Regards Mike
  4. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I would salt whenever icy conditions exist !! If its slippery its getting salt!!
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

All this will do is expedite the melting down process and perhaps allow the lot to dry. If it isn't salted, there is the more existing chance that the stuff will melt down and perhaps refreeze again. You can't lose on safety.
  6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Yup, P.O's have people coming and going all the time. They also deliver express mail on Sundays. I would say if it needed to be salted then go ahead.
  7. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Well by time I got out of work it was above freezing. I stopped by the P.O. and it was already melting, it was pretty much slush by time I got there, so I didn't end up salting it. It got up above 40 degrees today plus we got some more rain. Thanks for all of your input, this is my first year doing this kind of work and I look at this board on a daily basis to see what I can learn. You guys have helped me out a lot. Thanks again. Breck :)