1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bporter, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I just recieved a load from a guy out of Joliet IL and the Salt had a brown color to it like it has sand in it, has anyone else seen this.
    Brian Porter
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What was it sold as ? Did he specify treated ?
    Magic/Ice Ban coated salt is brown colored.
    No sand granules though
  3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Salt comes in a variety of colors , depending on where it originates from.
  4. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

Not to be a smart ass, but you get what you pay for. You probably paid 20 dollars or less per ton than I quoted you. My salt is top quality salt. Let me know if you'd like try some. No sand mixed in, and all my customers are happy.

Andy L.
    Michigan Salt
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Salt from Chile I believe is brown. So is salt that has been sprayed, even lightly with GeoMelt, beet juice.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Salt from Chile IS brown

Salt comes in many colors
  7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

what did you pay?
  8. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

As has been mentioned, salt comes in many colors. All depends on the trace minerals in the ground where the salt was mined. I have salt available in Ohio that originated from the United Kingdom. It is brown as well. The fines in the salt resemble sand. I've seen black salt from New York, pink salt from Peru, and even gray salt.