1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about salt amount

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I am bidding on a property for next year. And I know this question has been asked before, but just want some good advice. The parking lot is just under 20k ft2. I am figuring around $150-200/push because it's tricky. I figure as far as salting goes is my question. Should I be ok figuring #350 per application or should I figure more like #500? I thought that #500 seems a bit much most of the time, but #350 seems light. I know I won't use the same amount each time. My salting could be almost 3x cheaper than my plowing. Does that seem right, or is something wrong?

Thanks,

Brant

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go 500lbs and App. How much are you charging for salt? We'd be getting our Min Salting charge of 90 dollars

3. Brant'sLawnCare

I would probably have to be a little less than $0.20/lb to be competitive. I usually do a minimum of around $65, but all my jobs right now are really small. Sounds like I should probably figure around $80-90 per application. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

if you realize how risky it can be to spread too little salt you wouldn't be asking this question. it sounds like a lil under a half acre and you need to bid for 500#. take your cost and triple it and make sure it is worth it. You are providing a service that, if not performed properly, can result in a lawsuit in which you are responsible for medical bills. Please make this worth your while and stop lowballing. the average cost of a slip and fall is 28000. Can you afford that charging 65 per app?? didn't think so.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for the help. But I am not lowballing. Please don't just "assume" that I am a lowballer. My area's prices are different than yours, I am sure. I am newer in the commercial market, but I do know what other guys bid jobs at around here. I am just asking experienced pros how much salt they would figure in this situation. Right now I charge per pound applied, but some accounts like a monthly price. So if your gonna help, please do, but don't just come on here and call me a lowballer because I am newer at something.