1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about residential drives

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bwilder10h, Nov 30, 2005.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

This will be my first year doing drives with a truck and a blade (29 series sno-way). My concern is the steel cutting edge putting marks on the concrete drives or worse yet... damaging the concrete.

Short of making the homeowner sign a waiver for this, is there something I can do on my end to keep from doing this or am I just over-paranoid?

I saw a few comments on a search here for urethane cutting edges. Are those available for a sno-way?

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

The edge shouldnt do too much damage to the driveway. I have it stated in my contract "I am not responsible for normal wear and tear on your driveway from snowplowing"
  3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Get a polyeurethane edge, i have read about them
  4. mole

mole Senior Member

most of the time you will probably be back draging, the blade will do niothing to the drive way. Even when you push the blade will do no damage. Most of the damage is down to lawns and gardens when the ground is soft, like now.
  5. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

That's good to know. I guess I'm overly anal about things like that and I plan on my drive being the first to clear so I get an idea of how the truck and plow behave when backdragging. I just didn't want to risk chipping or scraping up the drive.

I do have a 'winter agreement' that I have had all my people sign up until this point, but most around here don't even bother calling until the snow is falling or it's on the ground.
  6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Properly adjusted shoes will prevent this problem. Personally in over 10 years I have never had a problem with damage to concrete. I also have a statement in my contract that reads:
    The contractor will not be responsible for any damages that occur to asphalt or concrete surfaces as a result of our snow plowing services. Contractor assumes no responsibility for vehicles parked illegally or in areas that the contractor has stated to the Customer to be in a location that causes a hazard or impedes performance of our work. The Customer must notify contractor within 48 hours of any other damages. Failure to report damages constitutes a waiver and the contractor is released from liability.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Every plow operator's contract or form (whichever they use) should state what has been mentioned here- it is an understood fact and should be made very clear to the customer. This is a truck with a 700+ lbs steel blade not a plastic snow shovel.

I hate shoes on plows- they prevent you from scraping down as close which is the trade off I make versus the protection on gravel and digging up lawn, but I have never see any major damage to a cement drive (or a pave drive) from plowing EXCEPT at the edges, along pot holes, or where cement portions have settled and become uneven. Even a poly edge will tend to dislodge material on uneven surfaces (like old settled pavers)

If it's only one drive try shoes it's alot cheaper than poly, or be careful and inspect the drive for problems before you plow it for each season and decide then.
  8. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

I realize that regardless of how careful you are, it's still a possibility of screwing up the grass or a paver beside the drive.

My concern was marking up the surface or scratching the surface dragging the steel cutting edge over it. If that isn't an issue, I won't sweat it.