1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about pre-treating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Ok, I know the benefits of pre treating, I do not have any customers that will pay me to pre-treat, but I have done it on a couple of my resy drives, just to buy me time.

My question is about a situation like today.
    I have 5 banks that I do as a sub, I only plow, company I work for salts them.

Ok, here is the scene.
    40 +/- degree Monday
    40 +/- degree yesterday, raining.
    Rained up till 7-7:30am then turned to heavy/wet snow.
    snowed till about noon/1pm, about 2" total snow, most accumulated between 7 and 9am, after that it was light flurries.
    35-38 degree, partly sunny rest of the day

banks are supposed to be plowed before 7am, if can not get to them by 7, then have to wait till after 9am, some security issue the bank has.
    banks looked like crap at 8am when I drove by a couple of them
    I was told not to plow them by the company I sub for, they were salting them only????

Anyway, I did what I was told to do, I never touched the lots, even though they looked like crap and were snow covered till after noon when the sun poked out of the clouds.

My question is,
    How should this been handled?
    I know they were not handled correctly, but I was told not to plow them.
    Could not pre treat them since it was raining all night.

Its not really my problem since I am a sub on them and ws told not to plow them.
    I would just like to know what to do in case I end up in the same boat later on with other properties (mine)...

I only have 2 commercial that are mine, one is 1" trigger, absolutely no salt ever. the other is a dentist office that just cancels there appointments and close up shop when it snows, so I have all day to get to it.
    The rest of mine are resy, so they get plowed when the commercial is done, have a few resy that call when they want plowed.

I am assuming that there was not much that could had been done other then just plowing them after 9am. But from what I heard they (banks) were not very happy at all that there lots were a mess this morning.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Well the good thing is if the customer wasn't happy, they were upset with the contract holder, not you. That being said, you did what you were told to do. As far as your own properties, that is something you need to discuss with your clients. I would have made several phone calls throughout the morning talking to my clients if I didn't know what to do. I usually have all of these items discussed before the first snowflake of the season, so I don't have to bother anyone asking questions.
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Just remember the Golden Rule. THE MAN THAT PAYS THE GOLD, MAKES THE RULES.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

on YOUR accounts...do what the customer wants
    on your employers lots....DO what he tells you to do....it is his ass not yours
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

That is one of the bad things about being a sub. Lack of control to do what's right. In my opinion they should have been plowed to help reduce the possibility of a slip and fall.

The idea of the ice melter being applied early on was great, but should have been plowed and not just sitting there waiting to melt because the temps. were going up.
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have had banks like you describe, done by 7am or don't return until traffic allows in the parking lot, and if it doesn't leave them alone. The biggest problem is that we get lots of snow during the day so they could be a mess. I wouldn't worry about them since that's what your boss (who holds the contract (most likely with a national company)) wanted. He will have to answer to the person he signed with. As for your stuff, do what you stated you would do in your contract. If it includes pretreat, do it even though it may be raining. Its not your fault the precip was in the form of rain and not snow, and how are you to know when its going to change
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Bingo....in the most simple terms.

This isn't your problem. I always have my ideas about "what is BEST to do" or what timing in most efficient- and it can be frustrating. BUT OH WELL!!! I have learned I can throw all that out the window as a sub, who does not deal with the mayors/property owners/property managers/developers/etc.... Those concerns are left up to my "boss" who I plow for. HE deals with the customer. I do a great job and the best I can according to his routes/requests/direction (salt, no salt, quick pass with salt, peel then salt, etc etc...) Simple. Many times we collaborate on timing or strategy but at the end of the day, it is always the call of the customer or your company you work for.
  8. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We had an event similar to that the other day. Didn't start snowing until 5:00 a.m. by 8:00 a.m. we had about 3 inches on the ground. That's just a piss poor time of day to start an event. We hussled to our priority properties first to scrape the walks and do a quick salt knowing we'd be back around 9:00 with another round as it was coming down good. When we finished our route we started back immediately. One of the doctor's came outside and thanked us for coming back so soon. Gave us some positive feedback for service thus far for the season and said "yeah, this is one of those freak events where you just have to live with some snow for a few hours 'til you get a chance to deal with it." Basically he knew there was limited time to deal with the situation on ALL of our properties within 3 hours. Sometimes people just have to realize it's winter time and snow doesn't always fall perfectly. We do all we can to run a clean and clear route but stuff happens. Alot of it is about your relationship with the customer and your past history of service. Once or twice a year blip is easily overlooked if there's been 25 other perfect events all year.
  9. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yup you did all you can do. When your running your business and doing lots of commercial stuff, I would monitor the weather closely. If they are saying around 7 730 am the rain will be switched over to snow, I would make sure that someone is in the salt trucks by 7 am. Even if they have to sit for an hour or so, but then your ready. On those banks, maybe get somone in at like 6am and just salt them it will by you some time and prevent the snow from being packed down when you actually plow it at 9am.

In our contract we state that, if snow fall occurs during business hours, we will patrol all main roadways, isle ways, primary sidewalks, and handicap parking stalls for every 1-3" of snowfall. Salting will be automatic or as deemed needed by the contractor. Like today, we got hit with about 3" of snow. We were in the trucks by 830 salting things, plowing and scraping by about 10am some things didnt actually need to be salted a second time becasue the salt was working good from when we presalted the .5 inches of snow that was on the ground.