1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plows

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigjms, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bigjms

bigjms Junior Member

Hey this is Jim

I have an 81 GMC pickup and was looking for a plow - I have plowed before for other companies, and figured it was time to start doing it for myself - we are supposed to get a bad winter this year.

So a friend found one that is on a Dodge - Its an older plow - its NOT a universal mount, the motor stays on the truck - so only the plow comes off.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this will work for my GMC and if not can i get a frame for the GMC and convert the rest over?

Thanks for any help

Jim

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow mount

hi Jim if the power unit stays on the truck ,then if you want to put it on you will have to modify the mount kit to fit ,unless you are lucky enough to find a old mount kit .that kind of mounting has been replaced buy a quick disconnect style of mount .but any thing can be done if you want it bad enough .do you have any pic's or further info on what brand of plow and hydraulics . :salute:

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

This dont look to bad and I am pretty sure its the same frame as your 81-87 I think they where the same till they changed in 88. So this should be your easiest plow to install. Its in nice shape. As for a minute mount plow for your truck. You will need to make modifications to a set of push plates and such. I dont think it would be worth the money to do. Not sure if you have 1/2 or the 3/4 truck

[​IMG]

http://rockies.craigslist.org/pts/1269814584.html

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Time and money will make anything "fit" on your truck.
    Not sure how well it will work or how it will hold up tho.