1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Enviouslawns, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

I live in michigan and tomorrow were suppose to get alot of snow (so they say) this is my first year plowing comm. and say i go out in the morning and theres 3inches so i plow and salt, then at noon theres another 3 inches. so would i plow and salt it again and charge them for 2 plows and 2 salting. thats wat i planned on doing but i just wanted to make sure. because i couldnt see giving them anything for free. any input would be great.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

thats how i do it
  3. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Cost of Doing Business

That's how its done; they want it clean in the a.m. and then cleaned up after all is done. Don't be ashamed of charging for work done. Just use good judgement and treat customer fair and you'll have customers for years.
  4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Charge for every time you are on the lot. That is how you make money. I have doctors offices that I have to keep clear during a storm and we charge for every visit.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What I tell clients that have to ask me that same question------''If you worked for somebody else,getting paid hourly,do you get paid everyday you show up or just some days?''
  6. Enviouslawns

thanks guys thats what i figured. cuz theres a few doctors in there and a few dentists so its gotta be clean at all times cuz people with broken bones walking on ice prolly wont mix good lol.

Thanks guys
  7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thats how we do it too.

But the Doctors offices would never see 3" before we got back to them :D
  8. Enviouslawns

So basically how it works is if it storms all day and i plow 3 times and salt 3 times they get charged all three times if thats what it needs.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

one it starts snowing, start plowing and salting. Even if they have a 2 inch trigger. I start plowing when there is an inch on the ground when I know there is more snow coming. Dont stop just keep going. The first time you have a decent size snow storm you get a little rattled due the volume of snow, you wish for snow all year and then you find yourself saying I wish it would just slow down a little so I can catch up. That is good if you get to that point, it means you are making a lot of payup.Charge everytime you are there....
  10. Enviouslawns

thanks for all the help

Hopefully Mi and Oh will all make some payup tomorrow
  11. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

sounds like your right on track,but i would maybe make a personal appearance each time or get someone to sign off so you got yourself covered. Just keep them informed and it will go much smoother and always get the bills to them asap,people tend to forget how many times you have been there when the bill shows up.when it's snowing they are your friend but when it's gone they are an auditor.keep it straight from the get go and you'll do fine.:nod:
  12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, don't be discouraged that when you get done plowing tomorrow morning, it will look as if it hadn't even been plowed. According to the forecast, and timing of the storm, it looks like it may be one of those events. What we do on many cases like this, when the snow is coming down that fast during those ours, we do not salt. It will not do anything when it is covered with 2 more inches of snow, let alone more and more getting scraped away. Snow in itself provides it's own traction under most conditions...as long as it is not accompanied by freezing rain or something of the sort. Now, this is only when the snow is coming down heavy enough that we hold off on salt. If it slows down and is coming down lighter, then salt does work and make a difference - as a matter of fact, is downright necessary. Anyway, good luck with it,..and plow with the storm.
  13. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

[and plow with the storm.[/QUOTE]

That is the only way to stay on top of the storm. I would rather push a few inches of snow, than waiting for the storm to stop, or get behind. I always tell my customers that it is cheaper to have me here , than to be in court.

Have a good time:drinkup:
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with Runner. Only salt the last time you think you will be plowing it.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

my only exception is that if the place is closing up say around 6 and if might need to be plowed again at 5:00 5:30 and they have already been done a few times during that day then we open them up so they can get out for the night and finish it once its stopped unless it keeps going strong then we keep cleaning it as to not get caught with too much to push. I plow at 2 inches or less on pretty well every place. Most of my customers if they see a town truck on a major road they want to see their lot already done or in the process of being done.

We also go over what the customer expects when doing a contract. Eg always open, our descression, 2 inches, salt every time, no salt, whatever.

remember Salt will melt some of your continuing snowfall, while you go do other places.