1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plowing technique?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lasher66, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I currently have a lawncare business that has about 80 residential customers and I am hoping to get a handfull of them for snow removal next year. I was just wondering what technique you used for plowing the driveways. If the driveway goes directly into the garage, do you drive over the snow to backdrag with the plow far enough so you can back up in the drive then push it out? Or do you do these steps in reverse? I am not planning on putting a rear drag plow on my truck either. Also, how do you guys buy your salt? Is there companies that distribute salt commercially or do you just buy a bunch of bags from local stores. Thanks for any help.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i pull up to the garage and back drag then plow out the drive. as for salt it depends how much you need and if you have a place to store it. I buy it from lesco by the pallet get it for $3.40/50# bag
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For the situation you describe, I would drive straight into the driveway. Backdrag from the garage. Turn around and push to the end of the driveway. Then push the snow onto the yard or ditch. That's assuming you have no room to push to one side of the garage (away from the house) being aware of drainage to avoid runoff across the driveway or into a building. If you have to push to the end of the driveway, plan so the snow pile is not obstructing the view of oncoming cars. Also, do not push into or across the street.

In trying different techniques, be careful not to get into the "rookie bind". This is where you've pushed the snow into an area where you don't want it, but can't get it out. Illustration - You push the snow on the way into the house with the plow fully angled to one side. But you don't have room to "push off". At the end of the run, you'll find there's still a big pile of snow in front of the plow, between you and the house/garage. You can't get on the other side of the snow to push it and the plow won't raise high enough to backdrag it. Break out the shovel.

As far as salt, which is best depends on your situation. If you have a place to store it, you might be able to buy bulk salt from a construction company or you might have a salt distributor close to you. Many farm and home supply store carry bagged salt in 50# and 80# bags. I've used both but don't prefer either for all situations. Bulk is cheaper (way cheaper) but you will likely need to buy three tons or so at a time. Bulk is also wet to some degree and will therefore clump more than bagged. Bagged is more convenient with a tailgate salter. Bulk is more convenient if you have a Vbox, but you need a loader. With bagged, I buy by the pallet (2400#). Big savings over individual bags. If you don't use all of them in one winter, keep the remainder unopened and in a dry place. I still have one bag from more than a year ago.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2006