1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plowing my work's drive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maccrazy2, Oct 30, 2008.

1. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

Hello all. I got a plow on my truck last winter for my long driveway and did not plan on using it anywhere else. Well I got some lights for it also as my plan is to clean my drive in the morning before I leave for work, drive my truck to work and clean the drive when I get home. Anyway, I work for an auto repair shop as a tech and the shop let go their old plow guy as he never showed up half the time last year. I actually cleaned the lot myself a couple times just because I was itching to try out my new plow.
    My shop owners approached me and asked if I would like to take over plowing this year. I told them I did not think it is a good idea as I do not have insurance for that. Plus I am a night owl and don't get enough sleep as it is. Anyway we left it open for the moment. I am now thinking about it as I will be there with a plow anyway plus the extra few bucks would help as when it snows generally 50% of out appointments are no shows and I work on flat rate.
    My question is this? If I agree to do this for my shop I will only do it under the understanding that I am on the clock for my work and if any incidents occur (IE me hitting a car or even a car hitting my truck) That all insurance claims will be thru the shop, same as if I was driving a shop truck or customers car. What are your oppinions on this? I do not know if that is possible or not. I am thinking as long as I have an agreement with the owners and I do clock in on my daily time card I should be covered under their insurance as I am on the job. Any thoughts?? Thanks Chris.
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

better yet.

pay the few hundred bucks for the insurance.
    come up with a seasonal contract for your boss, or a per push deal.
    You will make more while you plow the snow this way.
    The plowing there will basically cover your added insurance expense.
    But you will have the insurance to start bidding on other places, maybe pick up some driveways.
    If your slow at work when its snowing. you can plow that and then hit some drives!!

And since your at work anyway. You dont have to drive to that account because your already there!!!
  3. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

The problem is I cannot leave too early when it snow even if we are slow. I have to clock 38 hours a week to keep all my benifits. Plus I already have a second job/buisness and really don't have the time to do other places. If I just do my works lot in the morning that will be an extra $70 bucks on what will likely be a slow day at work. Chris.
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Update your insurance to cover your truck, show the difference to the owner of the dealership, and ask them to pay you an additional "X" amount per push.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if your not availbe 24/7 then stay away from the snow business, your asking for problems

unless you have a friend that could help
  6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

They dont have a lot truck setup for plowing? Around me, the dealers get the techs to plow but the truck is owned by the dealership.

If you are going to do it using your truck, I would get it in writing that they will cover it like its a shop truck, or like others said, get your own coverage. Also, tell them they need to pay you more than your hrly wage as you will have added fuel usage that you did not have before, and that needs to be compensated.
  7. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I did my employers parking lot a few years ago. Same thing, figured I was there anyways. Gave them a decent price. It got old quick. They are 15 miles from my house and normal plowing route. Although it ws nice when I had to go to work, it was a pain for the extra driving on weekends when I wasn't working.

If you are using your truck, no way should you work for your hourly wage. Give them a per push price or work up your pricing pending on number of inches. Get the insurance and be independant. Remember, it's wear and tear on our truck.

I ended up giving up my works parking lot after a couple of years. They still ask every year though.
  8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I worked for a place, and i would plow the owners residential drive, and private street to his home, he would keep me on the clock, and would also pay me more to make up for my drive time to his house, and truck maintenance. Worked out well until he stopped paying me extra, and that is when i stopped plowing his residential stuff, the work lot would only take me 15 or 20 minutes.
  9. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

The shop is a family owned place with aprox 30 parking spaces. They have a 4wheeler with a plow for the sidewalks, they just need the lot cleared. The owner was offering a per push fee not my hourly wage. My main concern is if I run into something as I am trying to clear near parked customers cars.
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've read many threads over the years where folks will plow for the business the work at by day. At some point you will feel burnt and they will feel taken advantage of and you will be out two jobs.

If your helping them out, ask them whats fair and accept it as it was presented to you and never look back. If they keep you on the company clock and provide you a little spif for your efforts then it's their insurance - make sure they know that though.

Don't get greedy.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If your using your own truck you are reasponcible.
  12. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

As it was explained to me, if I'm plowing anything other than my own driveway, or the driveway of a property that I own, I need commercial insurance on my truck, and liability insurance on myself/business. Check with your insurance company and see what they say. If they say that you will be covered w/only your personal insurance, GET IT IN WRITING, and make sure to keep it some place safe!

You probably do not need insurance if you are only plowing your driveway and your work's parking lot, but what happens when some idiot falls down and breaks an arm, leg, neck, etc? Your insurance co will not cover you, your boss' insurance co will not cover you, and you' could potentially be paying for the loss out of pocket for the rest of your life!

If your boss wants you to plow his lot, you need to make sure you are paid enough to get the proper amount of insurance coverage, to cover the wear and tear on your truck, AND to pay you for your work/time. Chances are pretty good that he's not going to want to pay you that much, so you shouldn't plow for him. It may be hard to tell him this, but he should understand.
  13. DHDB

DHDB Member

IF YOU ARE USING YOUR VEHICLE , IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR INSURANCE. Get insured, don't find out the hard way that they won't cover you. In fact, they can't! Their insurance company would love to hear that they are making these deals. If you are going to clear parking lots and all you have is a pick-up, be careful. Most storms are no problem and can be handled. If you get too much snow, or heavy & wet, you will have no way of moving it. Unless you have somebody on stand-by w/ heavy equipment you will be over your head. NOTE: Start small and work your way up, only bite off what you can chew!
  14. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

Thanks for the replys everyone. I am going to turn it down. There are just to many reasons to say no and only one to say yes. Thanks Chris.
  15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

its the right thing to do:salute:
  16. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

wow, I wish I could be that sensible...but stupid is too easy for me.