1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Question about plowing gas stations"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ss502gmc, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I have an opportunity to plow several gas stations but not sure if its worth all the aggravation as i have always shyed away from them but i need more accounts to stay busy so i have considered doing them, My question is: Do I need to use different deicing materials for the asphault and concrete tarmacs? Also could i plow carefully over all the gas tank hatches or would they have to be done by hand? Ive heard so many different people say different ways to do it that Im not sure the proper way to do it. Right now i have a tailgate spreader but buying a vbox in a few weeks but I run bulk salt through it and not sure if i need to get bagged sod chloride for the concrete or what to do. Any help would be great as i need to let the customers know if i can do them. THANKS

2. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

Gas Stations are quite fast and easy to plow. The only thing you really need to watch for is the idiot snow racers commin around the corners and the people who dont care..other than that its nice. The lots are lit up and open. Just dont take off a gas nozzle like some of us have done after 18hrs of plowing..oopps. Stay away from the indians unless there is a signed contract. Those bastiges take your plate number down for starters, let you plow for as little as they can give you say $40 whit 8inches of snow. Then they claim they paid $400 per plow when tax time comes around and you get a pretty little 1099 in the mail saying you owe 10 times more taxes than you actually made plowing...Dont know hhow mass is but thats chicago for ya

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

What kind of injuns are we talkin here? Dot or feather?

4. ERWbuilders

dot. Not too many Native Americans around here that i can tell. Most of them that i know are mixed with white. Im not trying to be racist in any way i just dont know how else to explain who the people are.

5. ERWbuilders

Oh yes i forgot ss502...some gas caps you need to watch out for as they protrude out of the ground and you will take them off at a cost of i heard somewhere around $400 a cap but most you can plow right over. The icing materials i would say just regular salt and very minimum application because if you notice, the lots melt faster than other parking lots without salt

6. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Gas stations do take longer than most other lots the same size. We have serviced a few in the past and still do. I really don't like them, but it's money. Be careful of the covers. Some of them can stick up a lot. Also, make sure you have room to put the snow away from any covers. People will pull in front of you. Most people don't care if you are plowing at a station. They will assume they have the right of way so bid accordingly.
    No special ice melters that I have heard of. The biggest problem that I have found is having the cheap gas station owners even sign up for ice melter!

7. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback so far! Ok so i guess one thing that through me off was in a contract i looked over awhile ago for a Gulf gas station stated that the lot had to be salted but any concrete surfaces were NOT to be salted only ice melt... Last time i used salt it melted ice. lol But does salt have a negative effect on concrete? Not sure on that one, but if it does its news to me. Keep the feedback coming.

8. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I would say unless they specify a certain ice control material, use rock salt, or whatever you prefer. That's something to ask them about. My stations want calcium on the walks but rock salt on the lot, and its a blend of asphalt and concrete. Definitely watch for people to act like you aren't even there. As for the fuel caps, I back drag mine really slowly. They are a pain though. Don't even try going over them forward.

9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry that abosuletely cracked me up. the indians ( dot ) are smart in business as they own a ton of them but they get there by being cheap as can be. the worst working for them. turn down any service accounts or calls i get for businesses they own. not worth the hassle

10. ERWbuilders

Ah yes another one from Illinois Metal...so you know what im talking about then

11. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Stay away from Level 1 Maintenance. They do a ton of Exxon Mobils. They pay 60 days or not at all. Just a warning.

12. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I've dealt with gas stations in my other business. They want two million dollar coverage from your insurance,they want to be put on as an additonal insured or beneficiary. In one instance I had to read a handbook and sign that I agreed to the terms and conditions. I had to prove I was a sole proprietor and had insurance on myself or they wanted me to have workers comp. The management company was located in another country. Maybe the laws or regulations were different there. plowking

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed a gas station wayy back & that was the last time ever for those kinds of operations. A Pioneer station infact. The franchise mistically switched owners overnight, & I never got paid. I filled up canisters of the contract value in diesel, & told the new owner (in front of a lineup of people) he better come after me with his laywer if he had a problem that I wasn't gonna pay for all this fuel. He kinda knew why ;)

14. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We have a gas station nearby that will only pay 20 cash for 24 hour period that it snows. There is a fool that actually plows him for that. I saw him plow 4 times in 24 last year for a grand total of 5 bucks per push last year. What a joke. I can't imagine why anyone would plow him.

15. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Thats not even Beer money?!? lol :dizzy:

16. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe they at least give him free beer while hes plowing so the 20 buck is pure profit :D

17. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

That would be awsome, but I really doubt it. I had to plow them out one night just to get my loader up to the pump. Dirty sucker didn't even say thanks.

18. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

they didnt even say thanks!?! should of stopped your plow at their front door. lol

19. ERWbuilders

I was hurting for quick cash last year and well, i plowed a 1 acre gas station told the DOT i would do it for 80 dollars each time. He screwed me out of 20 dollars on all 4 times i plowed. The last time i plowed him i charged 100 for 8 inches of snow...well my girlfriend went in and told him the price and you know it is against alah or whatever they believe in to argue with a woman so i plowed just the small front pumps of what he could see sent her in to collect and took off. Needless to say i made my money back for all of the plows i was gyped and then some!

20. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

No money in it, we tried too :)