1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Plowing for other Contractors

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PAPlowCat, Dec 21, 2005.

1. PAPlowCat

PAPlowCat Junior Member

Got a question...

I purchased a plow for my truck this year but was too late in the season to pick up any contracts. I managed to get a job with a local plow contractor and am using his equipment. First snow fall the truck I'm using breaks down. I called him on my cell and he asked me if I could finish the day with my truck. He said his insurance would cover me, and he'd pay me $35 per hour for the use of my own truck n plow. A few days after the storm I picked up my pay, and he did pay me what he said he would. The $35 per hour included my labor of driving, use of my truck, and he paid for my diesel fuel. Since I'm generally new to plowing, was I paid a fair price? No complaints...just asking.

NOTE: The places I plowed were commercial parking lots and one trailer park, and all blacktop. Easy on the blade plowing.

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Depends on the going rates in your area, but I would say he got the best of you. I pay a driver in my truck when I use one $25 per hour, true subcontractors using there own equipment in this area get $50-75 an hour depending on experience and equipment.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Its hard to say as prices vary so much from place to place. I would think the $35 to $40 would be more like what you should be getting an hour to use his trucks. Did he pay your fuel separate from what he gave you or did he expect you to use some of what you made to buy gas?

I sub at least a few times a winter and they pay me $75 an hour when I drive my own truck with a 7'5" plow. I dont get money for gas separate from my pay, its "included".

I personally would talk to some other guys in your area and see what they say as far as price goes, or maybe someone here is near your area and has a good idea of prices in the area.

At the very least, your pay is "a little low", it could be "very low" but its hard to say.

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

in a word ... NO
    you got riped off.

his insurance did not cover you or your truck the night you plowed. he would have to put you on it that night, something i highly doubt he did at 2AM.
    JMHO look for some one that know's the value of good sub's. you will learn alot more from them ,then this guy that is trying to take advantage of you. this guy will run you and your truck into the ground then look for the next sucker .

BTW , you should get close to $35 an hour to drive his truck .

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Here in Chicago I pay $20 / hour to drive my truck and $65 / hr to pay a sub with his / her own truck.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i work for Snow Systems. i believe they pay $40 an hour for the few that can get in and use a company truck.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

depends on local market. 35 does seem a bit low even if he fuled up your truck. One thing is his insurance may not have had a problem but your insurance may have.....and if your insurance isnt up to par with plowing then his will get pissy. Also it depends......some contractors only pay for when your in a lot plowing. If he is paying travel time too and your doing alot of running and he is paying you 35$ per hour to stop and piss and grab a sandwitch or coffee ect its different than 35$ per hour when your in a lot.

8. ratlover

from IL

40$ an hour to use someone elses truck! I'd sell my blade and park my stuff for that and beat on someone elses rig. What do they pay for subs? I'm in the wrong area!

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that $40 an hour is more like $30-$35 and thats a salt truck driver or loader operator. snow systems doesnt own any plow trucks. just loaders and salt trucks.

10. Plow Meister

Still, I should park my trucks and go over there. I'll be happy to get $40/hour for driving someone elses truck.

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

paid every two weeks , cash in an envolope....

12. Plow Meister

Woo Hoo:bluebounc Anyone want to buy 5 plow trucks and 2 V-Boxes payup Daddy needs a new truck to drive out to Snow Systems:rolleyes:

13. ratlover

from IL

40$ an hour to spead salt! count me in! Truth be told I think its a bit easier and easier on the body to spread as apposed to plow. Not as much fun though:D

Were they located? Have CDL will travel. Anyone want to buy a 810? Onlly been used to test it out payup

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i believe they pay $55 - $60 first year with a $5 raise every year you work for them. they paid me $55 last year , haven't picked up any of my check's yet for this year... they better have me at $60 an hour :p
    the cool thing is you can work LONG hours for them even in the small storm's they have enough work to keep you out for 8 - 10 hours.
    we also go out the night after a big storm to clean up curb's and just make thing's look nice.

call them up Snow systems covers just about all of IL from what i understand. they are the 2nd largest snow removal company in the US.
    most of the plows are sub's though. i only knew of 2 guy's that drove a company truck. one i think was a rout manager. the other was a friend f my manager.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  16. ratlover

from IL

Thats cool, were are you at?

I was mostly joking though about working for them......but they do seem to pay well.

17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

im in Buffalo Grove ... if ya don't know where that is , it's close to Arlington Hight's.

the pay is alright ... i can make a lot more doing driveway's though.
    they are a great company to work for. it's a little hard to get paid some time's but they do always pay and they seem to care about there driver's.

18. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

PAplow--seems you were low balled a little----A driver around here will get 20-25--and most of the time this is cash!--Big winters like last year--they had to claim about half:( For trucks plowing a lot and pushing and waiting for it to build up type is between 40-50 first year--if they are doing driveways and traveling--50-55. Granted you got fuel money and he probably has a subcontractor rider, that covers his subs--thats what he ment by on his insurence. Next time when his truck breaks you know to ask for a little more!

19. PAPlowCat

PAPlowCat Junior Member

Appreciate the responses guys. When I'm using his truck I get a flat rate of $10.00 per hour. I expected to get a bit more per hour since I do have plowing experience. He said he'd have to see my work first, but that's what he starts out all new employees. Well, he's seen it for two snow storms and hasn't offered more money. I will say one thing, I earn every penny of that $10 per hour. I'm stuck with him until I can get a better offer. But if anything I'm building up more experience. Also wanted to mention I do have my own GL.

Hopefully I can get some contracts lined up for next season. Too late for this winter. If anyone needs good help in south-central Pennslyvania, I'm available...my truck or yours. Not afraid to work long hours.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
    $10 an hour after taxes that's about $6.50 an hour X 10 hours = $65.00
    you can do one driveway in 15 minutes and make that much money.