1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plow weight

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Monte, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Monte

Monte Junior Member

Hello, has anyone have a 810 plow on a chevy with the duramax. I am buying a 2007 classic Chevy K3500 cab & chassis 4X4. I want to put the 810 on it. Many people tell me this can't be done. Does anyone have this set up? Thanks

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

You'll have to check to see what your front axle GVWR is, look on the sticker inside the drivers door, I believe with the diesels you end up having less carrying capacity because the diesel takes so up much of the front axle capacity. So you may get into an issue with warranty if you exceed FAWR. I think the 810 is 950lbs. Will the truck do it? Absolutely. Couple turns on the torsion bars to stiffen up the front end, and get some weight on the back and you'll be fine. I have an 810 on my 97 K3500, carries it fine. I would be willing to bet my 6.5 V8 diesel is a little heavier than your Dmax, if only because it's older and has iron heads.

3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I agree with the last post.

It is also possible that Dynamic Douglas or whoever is telling you this hasnt updated their books to include the '07 Classic as a compatible truck.

It is also possible that it is not a weight issue at all and a truck side plow mount issue, or lights harness compatibility.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 07 classic and the 06 are the same truck. Mount and harness should be the same.

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Crank torsion bar and add Timbrins. Lots of other guys have them on, so I'm sure you can too. With a 3500 you have more ballast capability behind the real axial.

If I were going a new blade I would look at the new Fisher extreme V blade.

6. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

youll be fine, lots of guys on the board run 810's on their 2500 D-Max

7. Monte

Monte Junior Member

Thank you everyone for responding. How do I find out if the warranty covers the weight of a blizzard? Isn't the Fisher Extreme V in the 9'6" heavier than the Blizzard? What about a Boss V Blade?

8. Detroitdan

I will say this much on the subject: I am a huge fan of the Blizzard 810 because it is the perfect plow for my application, specifically it gets wide enough to "cover the spread" of my dually that's 8 feet wide at the fenders. However, where you are with the potential for crazy snow amounts, I would probably go with a V-plow because it has one big advantage over the 810. When the highway plow leaves a five foot compacted windrow in front of a driveway, the V-plow can pierce it like the prow of a ship, whereas the Blizzard is stuck banging up against it like any other straight blade. If you're not doing residential driveways that may not be as important.
    Maybe somebody needs to build a "W-plow" that folds in the middle like a V-plow, and has hydraulic wings like a Blizzard. Best of both worlds. Or maybe I'm being ridiculous.

9. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

When I got my first blizzard I started looking for v plows. I just happened to look at the blizzards online and knew that they would push more snow. I was looking for a plow to speed up my time in our condos. The streets are tight and not much room to put snow. As far`as weight goes all of the v plows are pretty close in weight with the blizzard. I went with an 860 speed wing on my new truck to save on some weight. It does everything I need it to, (pushes alot of snow, wind rows, back drags wide passes ) just as good as my 810. If your not plowing through 5' drifts a blizzard can really save time. Weather you go with a blizzard or a v plow I think your truck will take the weight just fine. As long as your truck has a plow prep package the dealer shouldn't care. If your truck goes in the shop they'll only see the mount. Just tell them you have a 7'-6'' straight blade !!!

10. Monte

Monte Junior Member

According to the blizzard website they state the 810 is for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. My buddy has 3 Blizzard plows. He really loves the plow, but has had his share of problems. Nothing really major, only small problems. I am very tempted to try it. The one thing is that there is many moving parts on the plow which scares me. Going back to the warranty issue, I just do not want the dealer to tell me that they will not cover a problem because the plow is too heavy. Again, the website says it is ok and the local Blizzard dealer says it is ok, but who is right, GM or the plow dealer. I guess if the plow company says that you need a minimum of a 4800lb front end you should be ok. The local dealer has Blizzards' cash and carry for $4,200.00. Sounds pretty good. I will install it myself.

11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Screw the dealer then. If they ever ask which plow, tell them it is a Blizzard LT blade or something.

But of you want to be 100% sure, put the 810 on the truck, proper ballast behind the rear tires and go weigh just the front axle. Take a picture of it on the scale and keep the scale receipt. If it is under, should solve any problems with the dealer. If it is over, more ballast.

12. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

My mistake on the comment about the frames not matching. I was thinking the classic was the new design... oops.

According to what my chevy dealer told me :

If you have the plow prep package then you are covered under warranty. I asked about weight and they just said not to exceed the front axle weight rating.

Like someone else said, put enough ballast in back and it will make your front end very light. With a 3500 you should be able to load up the back pretty heavy w/o exceeding the back axle weight rating.

13. Detroitdan

We've gone around and around on this one. Where did you take your physics class, Dr.?
    I took classes up to level 5 Wreckmaster, and I drove heavy wrecker for years. I seem to remember that when I placed a great deal of weight on the rear of a wrecker, the front suspension would unload and the front end would get very light. In fact I've picked up trucks before like front loading garbage packers that were so overloaded when I tried to pick thenm I'd pull my front tires off the ground. Then I got a rear tag axle. And a couple of ten wheelers. Granted, the wheel lift is even further back which provides more leverage, but it's the same thing only more extreme. I know it's difficult to comprehend ( I had trouble believing it at first) but you can have more than one fulcrum. If you put the weight (ballast) over or in front of the rear wheels you add weight to the rear wheels or to both. Place it behind the rear wheels and you will unload the front axle somewhat. If you don't believe it go the local recycling center or truckstop and try it on their truck scale, or just do it at home with a tape measure.

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I smell another phony doctor.

At least it was for a good laugh.

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Using X, Y and Z locations it easy to see. The more you add to X the fulcrum point of the rear axial gets more weight off of z. Granted it would take X about 4 times Z to make it lift off the ground but it is very possible.

Attached Files: