1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plow tripping and adjusting headlights

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by brfootball45, Dec 7, 2009.

1. brfootball45

brfootball45 Senior Member

How you doing guys, I was wondering if there is anything to help my plow trip less forceful. I plow for the state and every now and then a manhole cover will sneak up on me, and the plow will hit it and snap up in the air, it scares the crap out of me everytime. The plow is a MM2 and its on a 95 ford f350 with a leveling kit, its an 8foot plow. Also one headlight is tilted how can i adjust it so that it is level?

2. brfootball45

bump to the top

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

The headlight can be adjusted, There is a nut under where, ha ha just said underwear, the hightlight is attached to its mount. it is on a bolt that is attached to the headlight, loosen it up, it should be a 1/2" hex nut, after you loosen that, the headlight will be loose to adjust up/down, left/right, once you have it where you want, hold it in place then tighten the nut back up.

As far as the trip edge, only thing you could possibly do is replace the springs to newer ones, but no matter what it will still happen. Only thing could do is try to rember where, but when running so much you will probably forget, well at least it will keep you up!

4. brfootball45

alright thank you very much!, yea i hate it, its always seems when it happens im gunna break something on the plow, ill tell you one thing i go through a lot of bolts. I just didnt know if i could change the angle of the plow or something to that nature

5. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I am not sure about changing the angle, but speed also is a factor, but understanding you have to keep up with the rest of the crew and what not, good luck, maybe someone else on here can help you on that part

One thing to note when doing the lights, pick the plow up and then adjust that way they will be good when you are driving with it up, and then just keep in mind that you might want to dip then ever so slightly when you get to this point to compensate for when the plow is down

6. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Believe me brother there's really no way to avoid some of them :dizzy:.... I run a combo for the state with an 11' 1-way plow & when it trips it does exactly what your's does except louder & with more force :realmad:....How fast are you going when it trips & how much of a blade angle do you run....I'm only going 25 & couldn't imagine what would happen if I was going faster :confused:....What pit are you out of???

Tom

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If that blade didnt trip and you hit those manhole covers just think what it would do to the truck!!! Somethings got to give and its the trip of the plow thats it.

8. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Funny you say that...A local guy some 20 + yrs ago hit a bridge expansion joint & went ass over tea kettles....the 10 wheeler ended up on top of the plow :dizzy: & the driver got banged up pretty good but survived....talk about a rude awakening :sleeping: :realmad:

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i plow for a town and my blade does the same thing.. not much you can do about it other than try to remember where they are and slow down when you get there. as far as the headlights go same as everyone else stated just loosen the nuts adjust and tighten the nuts and also do it with the plow raised

10. brfootball45

Ya i usually dont go any faster than 15mph i usually run at 10mph, I try sticking with my crew but they just take off they run between 15-20mph thats just way to risky, I run with the plow angle all the way to right, i just wasnt sure if there was anything, because it seems like i always hit them at the points when im very tired but they do stink. I run out of the whitman barn, my father just bought a 11' power angle for his truck and he runs behind me i can only imagine how that thing is going to do hitting the manholes. But i wanted to thank you guys for the advice

11. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

12. brfootball45

i run a little bit from the gutter then its my dad then the combo

13. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

14. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

I know its an old post..why not try one of them thar rubber edges sandwiched between the cutting edge and the plow. Space it so there's a couple of inches between the ground and the plow. Hopefully the rubber will glide over the booby traps

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Only in till the rubber wears out.....And yea old post why even bother?