1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about plow light bulbs.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hey guys. I've got a new (last Fall) plow, and on my headlights, I've blown the low beam bulb twice in about three events. Wondering if I've got an electrical gremlin? Could there be a legitimate reason for this? I just find it odd that I've blown two of them, both low beam bulbs, and both times it was the same bulb that burned out. Last time it burned out, I replaced it and bought one extra low-beam, and an extra high-beam just so I'd have a replacement if this happened again, but the two bulbs were 50.00! Sure don't want to have to do this every two events!

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Well, your truck will only supply the same voltage as your electric system has, which means something around 14 volts. Unless you have a defective voltage regulator (its part of your alternator), then it shouldn't be overvolting the bulb, and since its not blowing other bulbs, I tend not to believe that this is the problem.

The possibilities I can see are as follows;
    1) Poor quality bulb -- that can include some of those "high output" bulbs, which are brighter, but last short.
    2) Extra vibrations from being up on your plow frame. The truck headlights are mounted to the truck's BODY, which is dampened from the frame by rubber cushions. The plow lights are right there subject to every vibration that comes off of the plow.
    3) Bad luck.