1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about plow and truck type

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meathead1134, Dec 5, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Good morning guys I am new to this sight. I am going to be in the market for a used truck. I want to put either a boss or a fisher plow on it. I am looking for either a 97-99 f250 extended cab or possibly 4 doors with a PSD. Or a Chevy GMC 2500 extended cab or possibly 4 doors , in your opinion which would be the better plow setup. I have checked bossplows.com and found that typing in the truck type I want and it states ford dosen't recommend a plow for this truck. Can somebody tell me why? When I buy a truck I want anything but a regular cab. I will need the extra room in the truck. I would appreciate all the info I can get. I am new and I want to make the right truck and plow purchase but I'll need the extra room. Thanks in advance!! Go Pats

:drinkup: Patience the snow will eventually come

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

have u ever plowed before?a four door long bed is a big truck not very manuvarable.what kind of plowing are u going to be doing?
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it would be an experiance for sure.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The problem is the actual and potential extra weight of the extended cab, etc. Not only will your truck be harder to manuever, but it will be heavier, increasing the wear on the front suspension components. On top of that, manufacturers rate a vehicle for carrying the max number of people for which it is designed while carrying a plow. So with, say, five average people and a plow, you'll be over your front axle max weght. You'll find the same thing if you're looking at a diesel in a 3/4 ton.

In my opinion, the regular cab is by far the better choice for plowing.
  5. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

So Basically I would have to go with a regular cab.
  6. intlco

intlco Senior Member

We had 3/4 ton ext cabs back in '98 cause we couldn't get 1 tons, dealer sold out, and the 3/4 ton's were not good for plowing. The Fisher v-plows were just too heavy on the front end.
    We put the same plows on 1 ton reg cab and it was fine.
    Now we buy all 1 ton Chevy Crew cabs and they work fine too.

If you want a ext cab for plowing, go with the 1 ton and it will work fine.
    Also, don't fill the truck up with passengers when plowing, and you won't have so much weight. Put a salt spreader or 20 bags of 50lb sand in the rear part of the bed to off set the plow weight.

Only thing, with the crew pu, you will be limited to plowing bigger lots.
  7. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I have a '98 GMC Sierra 2500 ext/LB SLT, 454/4L60e.K&N open are filter, 3" duals with 30" thrush exhaust. It has 2" alum block in back and have turned up the torsian bars. Tires are LT285/75/16's. It has a much larger and more comfortable rear seat for my kids than either the ford or dodge. My opinion any ways. It turns like a bus, and the visiblity out of the rear is not the best. seems the rear pillars are overly large. I would plow with it if I only used it for large lots or roads. But that's my personnal truck. My plow trk is a reg. cab so I can't help you there. Happy shopping! purplebou
  8. osbo68

osbo68 Member

OH ya go Fisher. I 'm biased though so check out there site.- www.fisherplows.com :salute: Good luck
  9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

western does not reccomend a plow on a full 4 door 8" bed diesel F-250 or F-350. The thing is a monster unless you plow roads only, way too long.

the reason they dont want you putting a plow on the long diesel truck is the weight, you can put one on there, its just not reccomended for safety reasons, they say its just too much weight
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2004