1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about performance chip 2006 Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chironorm, Feb 21, 2007.

1. chironorm

chironorm Junior Member

I have a 5.3L(310 hp) ext cab Z71. I am looking into performance chips and want to know what is best chip with multiple settings for performance, gas milege, and towing. I want one the plugs in to diagnostic connector. Easily swiching between settings. Can anybody help???

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

CHIR.............. 96 and up OBD2 GMs don't have a removable "chip" in the PCM.
    Its either you do a PCM burn (one shot only not adjustable...unless you send it back
    to the programmer) or go with a hand held tuner (which IS adjustable or removable)..................

I currently run a Hypertech handheld...........The shift points, top speed cut off, RPM limiter , as well as adjusted timing are my only adjustments to the stock program.
    A little more go-go as well as a few more MPGs are my experience.........

The Diablo Preditor is another handheld brand. It will also adjust the dreaded GM
    torque management program that strangles the 6.0 and 8.1 engines.............

I like the handheld because if I break my truck and have to have a warranty repair
    I don't have to worry about "warranty void" or not covered because of a "mod".
    So I can remove the tune before its towed to the dealer....................

3. SneekyTT

SneekyTT Junior Member

Sonjaab,

Would you say it was worth the money? Or do you feel that you could have better spent your money elsewhere? Im really wanting to get one, but im up in the air about which one i'd like to get.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

My next programmer will be the Diablo Preditor. It WILL adjust that nasty
    TM program...................

Your gonna do your 5.3 right??????????

IMO it would be a waste of $$$ for that engine/combo. The TM program is just
    about non-existant in the 4.8-5.3 engines. Those motors seem to be tweeked
    bone stock.

My buds 04 1/2 x-cab will blow the doors of my 04 6.0 2500 x-cab.............
    But he can't out tow me..................

He just brought home a new 07 GMT 900 last night. Can't wait to check it out
    up close today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........geo