1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about paint and surface prep of plow.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nymustang50, Jan 6, 2010.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Well I'm getting my first plow of my own.. I'm used to plowing for companies using there equipment so I have a question. The plow surface is all rusted and is like pitted and has no paint on it anymore. Is there anything I can use to make it smooth again that will hold up to the conditions it will be used for. I plan on redoing the plow like por15 then getting the western paint but I just want to make it smooth too. Any suggestions would be welcome I was thinking of bondo but it would crack I think under the stress.

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

you could always skin it they sell a poly glue on shield works good i dont have it but i have seen it

3. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Once you've got it where you want it, use Fluid Film to keep it protected so it doesn't get rusted again.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

5. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Hi I have used POR 15 in the past while doing a good bit of marine construction. I has recently found a product called Chassis Saver it comes in black and grey, what I like about is how well it covers (smooth) It still needs to be top coated as it has limited UV properties . but like POR15 do not get it on your skin as only time takes it off
    Even though it states you " can paint over rust I would not I would sand blast it first

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

I bought it at am autobody paint supplier if you search it I am sure you will find it, All the best
    Bo

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. nymustang50

Where can I get one of those?

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Better off painting the whole frame setup, and the blade........It is cheaper to do it that way......

8. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I just contacted the tech rep at Magnet, my question to him was can this product be sprayed and his answer yes, it must be reduced by12% and same as brushed 4-6hrs for the second coat and a acrylic enamel on more then 10hour later, or else you will have to sand it and start to top coat it, in the spring I hope to do a photo report on this process, All the best Bo

9. nymustang50

Anyone ever use a spray gun to paint there plow?