1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about packed snow and ice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by packey, Dec 3, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I have two lots that I plow the drive lanes at two inches and the parking spaces when the hoa decides it needs it. I checked these areas this morning and they are pretty hard packed do to freeze and thaw over several days. Their is also alot of ice starting to build up. is there a decent way to break this stuff up or is it just going to be a big pain. I thought about putting mag chlorice on it early tomorrow and about noon -1:00 going out to plow it. Any suggestions.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if ur plow dosent rip it up then ur best bet is gonna be a deicer. salt salt with cal or mag u get the idea. ur best bet is to get it if the sun comes out pavement temps with salt will come up quick. just remember once u get that off put more salt down or whatever ur using

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the oly way your gonna scrape ice is with a front loader

4. if its a big spot and you can get a hold of a skidsteer that would make things alot easier

5. packey

packey Member

Thanks for the advice. God smiled on me and gave us to warmer sunny days to help with the cleanup. Warm weather Calcium chloride and my truck and it all came up. It took about 6 hours in all and way more ice melt than I normally use. After cleaning every thing up I put done more ice melt we are expecting more snow tonight through the weekend.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

pray for rain

last year we got covered w/ 5" of ice and we were running low on salt and couldn't get a truck for 2days so we spread what we had and then that night it RAINED:confused: i though we were really in trouble but we got the trucks out there and plowed, it turned out that the rain warmed up the ice for about 5 hours just long enough to get aour stuff done :redbounce

but i would suggest salt since it sounds like you have a lot of ice to deal with, just because salt is cheaper, let it set as long as you can, spread before sun-up and plow about sundown if poss.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

hoa..

tell him that is the result of him making the decision instead of you.... you would have plowed it before it turned into a problem....:)

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Exactly! This last post was the best one of the whole thread. This is precisely the reason we don't do any of the 2" trigger things.....it never works...and we SURELY never touch any o the "we'll call ya when it needs it" nonsense. On a sidenote, if they don't take our salt,...then we don't touch it either.....all that is - is an opening to liability. Incidentally,...My best friend just got served with a lawsuit. They are asking $230,000 for a slip and fall that happened in 2005. This is just another example of showing you that this stuff is no laughing matter.... There are ALOT of guys (the vast majority) out there doing it who don't have a CLUE just how much they're riding on the edge.