1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about older Western plow.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hondaplowguy, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hondaplowguy

Hondaplowguy Junior Member

Hello, I placed an ad on Craigslist looking for a plow and some guy called me instantly. He had a Jeep Jeepster Commando half back(kind of rare, but not my cup of tea) with a 6.5 Western that is Hydro up/down/side to side. The plow has a logo on it saying "official plow of the 1980 Olympics". So I'm guessing its a 1980 or close to. I was going to put the plow on my Jeep Wrangler but decided to put it on my 3/4 chevy instead. My question is that if I locate a typical Western Plow mount for a Chevy of my generation should the plow mate up to it or did they change some over the years? Thanks for any help. BTW I scored the plow with the Jeep for $500:D

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have one of those (Jeep Commando Half Back). As for the plow no not for anything made after 1994 and its not big enough for your 3/4 chevy. You need at least an eight foot plow.

3. Hondaplowguy

Hondaplowguy Junior Member

My trucks width is like 6'2" Why do I need to use an 8 foot plow? I can understand that when I angle the blade at full amount I may have some tire over lap but considering I only have a couple of small parking lots to do I'm kind thinking this should work fine as long as I can mount it. I have a newer Jeep Wrangler but its 5 spd and I fear about clutch issues using that little thing. I know the 3/4ton would last much longer in plowing conditions.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

B/c your truck is a lot wider and the plow a lot narrower when you're turning or the blade is angled. A 7'6 is OK, but the wider the better on a full size truck.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707