1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question about old western pumps

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Manfre, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Manfre

Manfre Junior Member
    from pa

i had a question about the old western plows its a cable system to operate the pump i think that the cables are wore out or need to be adjusted didnt know if they can be adjusted or need new ones thanks for any info
  2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

There is an adjustment on the angling cable, though it is more or less a fine tunning adjustment. Make sure that the set screws on the housing are in the groves on the cable ends. If they are acting sticky or resistant, you probably should replace them. I think they tend to run about $26.00 or so each, but are good for years.
  3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Something to check

Remove the plate on the pump that covers where the cables connect. If the seal went bad, it allows water to enter. The water freezes and really messes up the control movement.
  4. Manfre

Manfre Junior Member
    from pa

what happens is it goes down and to the left good then right and up work but its hard so i think that the cables or old and just worn and for 26 bucks i would replace them it aint worth breakin while im tryin to plow
  5. Nenty

Nenty Junior Member

It sounds as if you just need to adjust the cables where they end on the actuator. I had the icing problem which had me foxed until I opened the cover and drained the water out.