1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about my insta act pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by serafii, Jan 5, 2012.

1. serafii

serafii Senior Member

Im having some issues with my mm1 with the insta act pump. I bought the plow back in August and now that I'm actually working with it I noticed its acting weird. It moves to the left very slow compared to the right. My plow shop tells me it could be a valve inside the pump. I find it also drops extremely fast compared to my mm2.

I dont know if it's relevant but the previous owner was running transmission fluid in the pump.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start by cleaning the S2 and S3 valves. You can adjust the drop speed with quill adjustment.

3. serafii

serafii Senior Member

Which are the s2 and s3 valves? And how would I go about cleaning them? And whats quill adjustment?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie. I've never taken apart a pump

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

The above is pretty self explanatory, but ask if you have questions. Turn the quill in to slow it's drop speed. Clean the cartridge valves with brake cleaner or K1...inspect the O Rings on the valves, and clean the bores thoroughly with brake cleaner while they're out. Poke in the ends of the valves with a pointy object, they should go in freely, and spring back when released. If they hesitate, or are gunked up, this is your issue. Either clean until they function properly, or replace them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did you clean the ATF out and add Fisher hydraulic fluid, as well as clean the filter? If not, it's a good idea to get yourself a filter kit 28479, and a gallon of Fisher blue fluid (or similar rated hydraulic fluid). The only thing worse then running ATF in my opinion, is not frequently changing it. Others may disagree, but it seems to me that it containments easier then the better hydraulic fluids out there and causes nothing but headaches.

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I will agree with that, especially with the newer pumps. ATF will get you by in a pinch. I see a lot of "older" guys put it in because its all they have ever known.

Before I got crazy with replacing valves, I would do a thorough flush of the system. This include all the cylinders and removing the resevoir and cleaning or replacing the filter. If it had ATF, I would refill run it and then drain again this way you get the fluid running through the valves etc. If you still have problems remove the valves and clean them off the unit.

8. serafii

serafii Senior Member

I'm gonna clean the valves this weekend. As for the ATF, it's all out. I brought the plow in for service and had them flush the system

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's probably an obstruction in the valve manifold, or a gunked up valve then. Hopefully a good cleaning will resolve it.

10. MtnClimber

MtnClimber Member

Can the solenoid controlled valves be removed without much (if any) fluid loss?
    My Insta-Act will go up and angle to the left just fine, however down and right angle are inop til the fluid get's "warms up". The fluids get changed anually too. TIA Thumbs Up

(MMI with a fishstik)