1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about mounting

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by skinut2234, Feb 23, 2005.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

I decided I will most likely purchase a used (newer) plow. I do not want a piece of junk or need to spend 3500 bucks on a new one.
    Here is my question....
    I've been looking at classifieds and Ebay.... Should I limit my search to only those plows that will fit on my model truck?? I have a 2001 F250- I find myself bypassing all the plows on other trucks even if the plows are nice.
    Help me understand the mounting system on them..... I have yet to find too many off of my model truck. Is buying one this way more trouble than it's worth??
  2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

There are many plows for your truck. I personally have a 8' Western ultramount on my 99 f250, but know of guys with meyer, fisher, and snoways. Truthfully, I loved the ultramount system. It is so easy to attach and detach. The meyer seems a little hard to me. Snoway and fisher, I have no idea how they attach. If you decide to get a ultramount, all you would need is the wiring harness and sub mount. the sub mount is not hard to attach to the truck. Whatever model you choose use a 8' or bigger. 8' is the prime size and weight for your truck. :waving:
    Maybe someone else can help on the other brands, since I am only familiar with meyer and western. :drinkup:
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

All brands of plow have "push plates" - or truck mount frames which are truck specific, sometimes for 1 year only, often for multiple years. It really depends on the truck manufacturer. Dodge 1994-2001 2500/3500's are the same frame, same push plates.

The lift frame for the plow, which is the part the detaches from the truck is normally the same for all push plates within reason. a 12 foot minute mount may not fit on a F350's push plates, but the plow on my dodge will.

So, if you decide on a make of plow you want (fisher for example) go to your local dealer and ask them what push plate kit you need for your truck, and what other years it will fit. Dodge push plates will not fit a Ford, or a Chevy and vice versa. Next look for a used setup based on what the dealer tells you or get a price from the dealer for the push plates and you can buy a plow off almost any truck useing that system. Minute Mount 1 and Minute Mount 2 are compatible as a unit- push plates will work for both, but other parts are different (like the moldboard itself) so I can change the electric system and reuse my MM1 push plates.
  4. danno

danno Senior Member

All of the above are correct. I have a 96 Ram 1500. I saw a guy selling a MM I, 7.5, RD, in the paper. He was moving to FLA. He had a 98 Ram 2500 that it was on. I called Fisher, and they said the mounts would fit. But I told the seller I would have to spend 500.00 on new mounts also. He was selling it for 1200.00, offered him 325.00 and he took it ! Like new, even with a fish stick !

Just remember, mounts are usually 400.-500 bucks. You buy a plow, either you make room to spend that if it comes with different mounts, or you have to find a plow that came off a similiar truck like yours.

Don`t forget also, having the wiring and mount installed can be a expensive part of getting a plow too.