1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question about mount height

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by trfrench, Nov 23, 2008.

1. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

I have a 7'6 Boss standard duty w/o smart hitch on an 05 Chevy Silverado. The plow has never been easy to hook up or un-hook. This afternoon I checked the mount height which is at 14" to the center of the hole. The book says it should be at 15 1/2". So my question is should I raise the mount or crank the torsion bars up to bring the mount up? Will this also make it easier hook up once I have the mount at the right height? Thank you for in advance for any help.

2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

When you say it is hard to mount, what exactly is the trouble?? Getting the pins to go into place or what kinda trouble you having? B&B is a pro trouble shooter with most everything, let him give his two cents:D

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like Farmboss already asked, what specific part is giving you the trouble?

Mount height isn't nearly as critical on the straight blades as it is on the vee's but yes you should either raise the mount or raise the truck in order to get the mount height closer to where it should be...not for an easier attach/detach procedure but for maximun blade performance.

Three most common causes of tough to attach Boss syndrome are...

Your either your not driving into the plow far enough to push it a few inches (in order to 'square' the plow up with the mount)....or your not setting the jack stand to the correct height during detach.

Last common cause is dropping the plow for storage on uneven ground. The plow needs to be relatively level side to side..or, at the same tilt as the truck in order to make mounting a piece of cake, just as it should be.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

yes I am having trouble getting the pins to in during the hook-up, and then having a hard time getting them to come back out during the un-hook. I normally do push the plow a little bit when hokking up.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

When hooking up by yourself, make sure you set the emergency brake after you push the plow a little to square it up. This will prevent the truck from rocking back and out of position for hook up.

Chevy's typically sit lower on the front which makes it more difficult to hook and unhook from the plow. Especially the Vee plow as B & B said.

6. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

so would cranking up the torsion bars make it easier to hook up

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It very well can, but being level (again side to side wise) and that the pins aren't too tight in the receiver holes are more important.

You do put the plow into float mode when your attempting to attach or detach correct?

8. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

Yes, i do. So even though the mount height doesn't affect hook up, what will it make a difference in?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The performace of the plow like I mentioned. Cutting edge will last longer as well.

10. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

thank you B&B for help. I am going to put the mount at the correct height tomorrow morning.